Sign in to follow this  
Rylando

Need advice, used Highlead GC0618-1SC, need to switch clutch with servo

Hi, I picked up a used Highlead GC0618-1SC, couldn't refuse it at the price. I'd like to replace the clutch motor with a servo motor. I've used a CB3200 for a while now, and really REALLY love how I can go at a snails pace if I need to. This clutch motor is turned up to 11, I cannot really use it very well at all. No matter how gingerly I tickle the pedal, it is FULL BLAST. I would rather sell the old clutch and replace it with a servo than have to put up with this. Is it possible to slow it down somehow? or am I just stuck with this FULL SPEED mode?

What am I looking at as a replacement? I would appreciate some advice on what to replace it with, maybe a cheap option and an option that would be like my CB3200?  I have no clue about motors. What's on there now is a "frontier clutch motor, HP:1/2HP, Cycles: 60HZ, RPM:1725RPM"

Also, does anyone know if juki 1541 parts fit this machine? It currently has the feet for fabric, and I'd like to replace them with smooth feet, along with getting an edge roller guide.

I appreciate any help y'all can give me, thanks!

Edited by Rylando

I was given a Highlead GC0618 by a good friend who was sewing dog collars. He just used the clutch motor and ran full throttle, I however, needed to slow it down for leather work and so after some deliberation and going against the advice of many I decided to add a good speed reducer and keep the motor for now. I have gotten used to it and it added a bunch of torque and I can slow it down to manageable speeds. On thinner leather (5-6oz) it will slow down a lot and stay at a slow steady pace. With the thick stuff (18-20oz) it needs to kind of take of take off and run to punch through it. I’m sure I’d get spoiled to a servo but this setup allows me to do nice work. And yes sometimes I still turn the wheel manually in delicate spots. If you are still working on this project I can provide photos of the install. 

One thing you can try with the clutch motor is to oil the clutch plate.  If you open the clutch there's usually a metal plate and a cork face plate that one of is actuated by the foot pedal.  Soak the cork side with sewing machine oil for a few minutes and wipe off the excess.  Be sure to just do the clutch side, there's usually a brake that engages by the return spring for the foot pedal, you want to leave that part dry.  Oiling the clutch has improved low speed control for me on a number of machines and I have always been able to get full speed as well.