Affaltar

Tooling tools

Hi, I bought a starter set for tooling from artisanleather in uk, and they sent me tools from taiwan, ivan.tw, in original packaging at 100% bigger price. I tried them, I don't know much, but I about it but I don't see problems for now and I'd like to get more tools directly from Taiwan

What pieces would you recommend for a set with which I can do most things? I'd like to buy most cheap things now and then get more expensive ones one by one

Is that store ok? It's half price of all others I've seen, and they offer free shipping and a discount on big orders.

Affaltar, it depends on what you want to do with leather work. If you are planning on doing Sheridan style tooling, you will need a wider range of tools than if you just want to do plain leather work , and keep the decoration of the leather simple - e.g. , just add a border to a project, or do a basket-weave stamp.

For a basic set of tools for Sheridan carving, you'll need at least 2 bevelers: a big one and a smaller one, a couple of pear shaders, crescent stamps, veiners, seeders and at least one backgrounder. Also, a good swivel knife is essential for any sort of tooling.

If you want to do basket weaving, buy a good basket weave stamp. 

But again, it depends on what type of carving you like doing. My instructor recommended I buy a basket stamp, when I asked him what tools I should buy to supplement the ones that came with my beginner's kit. I soon found I don't enjoy basket weave stamping - I prefer something more creative - so my basket weave stamp is sitting unused in my tool rack! 

Edited by Sheilajeanne

I still have no idea what I want to do. My first goal was just to learn to make some functional things for me, but then I discovered the joys of this and spent every free moment with tools and leather in my hands. I noticed I need smaller bevelers to reach lower points, and something for background, and I'm ok buying 2-3 tools I'll never use, I just don't want to miss something that's needed for most work.

I'd like to try making traditional floral patterns, simple stuff like borders and stamps and putting some of historical and mythological designs in leather.

On the handles of the tools there should be a number. List that number here and if you can, a photo of the working end of each tool.

When we know what you have we can advise better on what else you may need. 

But be aware; getting these tools is habit forming. I started with a 7 tool starter set and I've now got over 130 of these tools!

Okay, in that case, going to add an undercut beveler to the list of tools you'll need. Tandy designates them with the letter 'U' and the most commonly used one, is, I think, U 851. Ivan follows Tandy tool numbers, I think. 

Anyone who is seriously into leather carving usually winds up with AT LEAST 100 stamps. It quickly becomes an obsession!

I'm going to list the most basic ones by number, the ones included in a beginner's kit. That should be a good place for you to start.

A104 backgrounder

B701 beveler

C 431 crescent shader

P 207 pear shader

S 706 seeder

V 407 (not sure about this one, might have been a slightly smaller one.)

To these I would add, based on my own experience, several different sizes of bevelers, both smooth and cross-hatched, several different pear shaders, smooth and cross-hatched, some flower center stamps, starting with the really small A102, and going up in size. Some people would recommend you get a bar grounder for doing backgrounds, but I don't like doing backgrounds that way - too time consuming! I'd get one of the larger A stamp backgrounders, also something like A98 for really tight spaces.

There are a million different crescent shader stamps/sunburst stamps out there to choose from. They are good for borders, as well as decoration in Sheridan-type carving. Pick a couple you like, and bang away!

Hope this helps!  

21 minutes ago, fredk said:

But be aware; getting these tools is habit forming. I started with a 7 tool starter set and I've now got over 130 of these tools!

See??  :lol:

Edited by Sheilajeanne

If you got that set that pops up first on the google search most of the stamps are pure junk and you wont ever produce a nice product with them. What i did to start out is i made a design then figured out what tools i need for the project and bought just those tools after awhile i had a good set designed for my style and knew what each did. 

Chuck was interested to see what popped up when you Googled...I got a completely different result! The page I was directed to had Jim Linnell, Barry King and other top toolmakers!  :o

What manufacturers did you see that you'd recommend staying away from?

Interested to see comments from others who've used Ivan Taiwan tools. Ivan has profited by producing Tandy stamps that are no longer available, such as leaf and acorn stamps, but having never used these stamps, I don't know how their quality compares. 

19 minutes ago, Sheilajeanne said:

Chuck was interested to see what popped up when you Googled...I got a completely different result! The page I was directed to had Jim Linnell, Barry King and other top toolmakers!  :o

Interested to see comments from others who've used Ivan Taiwan tools. Ivan has profited by producing Tandy stamps that are no longer available, such as leaf and acorn stamps, but having never used these stamps, I don't know how their quality compares. 

This is the only tool in the kit I found to be worth keeping

the awl, broke, the punches bend  and are not very well detailed 

20200812_091315.jpg

20200812_091315 (1).jpg

https://www.artisanleather.co.uk/leather-stamping-and-carving-starter-set-970-p.html

this is the set I got
V407, P206, S705, B197, A104 and C431.
I also took separately B701, G602 and E671 (for which I now have to find a mirrored version)

I'll take a look, gather more opinions, and get something on my way =) 

Even if they eventually break it's order of magnitude cheaper than the names dropped in this thread, and the ones I use so much they break I'll get better versions =D 

Frodo: YIKES!  That sucks!

I've heard of punches bending and breaking (usually Tandy) but have never had it happen to me. Only Tandy tool that was defective had a small burr on the face, and Tandy was quite willing to replace it for me.

Affaltar, that's a good starting point for now. All of those tools are ones I use frequently, and most are in the the beginner kit I purchased when I started.

Strongly recommend you get an undercut beveler, as mentioned above. It's used for lifting the edge of flower petals and leaves to add more of a 3 D effect to your carving. 

Edited by Sheilajeanne

Have been looking at the Artisan Leather site you got your tools from. What ripoff artists!   £49.50 for a poly maul from Ivan??  Gaahhh!  https://www.artisanleather.co.uk/v-z-codes.html  And the prices for their stamps are about what I'd pay in Canadian dollars! To buy a single tool at what they are charging would be about $17.00 Canadian, before shipping and taxes!

Try Le Prevo in Newcastle. England. Their tool prices are very easy on the wallet and I think the tools are made by Ivan.

Scroll down to 'Embossing Stamps'

http://www.leprevo.co.uk/carving-tools.htm

I got about 90% of my stamping tools from Le Prevo.

Edited by fredk

3 hours ago, Sheilajeanne said:

https://www.amazon.com/Sunolga-Leather-Artwork-Stitching-Stamping/dp/B0896TLDDG/ref=asc_df_B0896TLDDG/?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=&hvpos=&hvnetw=o&hvrand=&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584070147480707&psc=1 This is just one of the many sets as i said some of the tools are ok but the stamps are junk.

Edited by chuck123wapati

2 hours ago, fredk said:

Try Le Prevo in Newcastle. England. Their tool prices are very easy on the wallet and I think the tools are made by Ivan.

Scroll down to 'Embossing Stamps'

http://www.leprevo.co.uk/carving-tools.htm

I got about 90% of my stamping tools from Le Prevo.

But directly from Ivan is about 15% cheaper :D

So you're generally satisfied with those tools?