Frodo

how do you burnish oil tan?

How do you burnish oil tan,  I have used water and wax   it is not working

20200812_072639.jpg

Oil tan is not burnish-able, Frodo. I think the best you can do is put Edge-kote on it.  :( 

1 hour ago, Frodo said:

How do you burnish oil tan

In a word... tokonole. It is a leather finish burnishing gum. Comes in black, brown and clear. Water based, easy to apply, smooth finish.

is that the only way?  

18 minutes ago, Frodo said:

is that the only way?  

Oil tanned (or chrome tanned) leathers make up the bulk of what I use, and this is my favorite edge finish for that type of leather. I have tried other ways... I have burnished with wood, with felt, with canvas, with denim; I have applied a variety of edge finishes, including saddle soap, gum tragacanth and edge paint; I even purchased a heating iron for smoothing Fenice edge paint. All in all, tokonole is easy to apply, easy to clean up, does not bleed, and wears well. 

Oily leathers rarely burnish well.  They also typically don't take a shine well. Tokonole works wonders, though.  Some people use paint or edge kote-type products with varying success.  Tokonole works better, for me.

Usually you just have to fold the edge and sew, or sew thin leather to the edge to cover/bind it.