OlivesNLimes

Dead blow hammer vs. a poly maul?

Started leatherworking yesterday.  So, all of this is brand new to me.  Would you recommend a dead blow hammer vs. a poly maul? Already know I need to practice a lot.  Some stamps aren't leaving a deeper indention in the leather.  Would a dead blow hammer work better for these stamps?

In my opinion, they both have their place in leatherworking.  For big stamps, such as letter stamps (1/2" and bigger) the deadblow hammer is really nice.  You can hit hard enough to leave a good impression without the "bounce" that a regular maul or hammer has so that you don't get an accidental double-strike. Those double-strikes make can make coins more valuable, leather not so much!

For smaller tools a lighter poly or rawhide maul or hammer are more suitable, particularly if you need multiple rapid strikes such as used when tooling leather.  A deadblow hammer would just cumbersome in that situation.

- Bill

Have a look round a car accessory store at soft faced hammers. They often have alternative or interchangeable faces, such as the Thor, which you can get with copper or hide faces and a range of weights

Search YouTube for soft faced hammers and dead blow hammers, there are several videos

Edited by zuludog

@OlivesNLimes Firstly, welcome to the world of leather. Look forward to seeing your work.  :) 

Zuludog is correct. They are quality mauls/ mallets .  When choosing a maul, just try in your hand. Is it heavy or light enough ? 

But if you're on a budget,  this is what I use. They're just rubber mallets, well used.  . The one on the left, is about 9 oz,  I use that for heavy stamps, 3D etc. one on the right, about 6 oz , I use that for everything else. Its actually from the toy section in a discount shop, but works fine.

HS

Maul Pics 001.jpg

Yeah for Harbor Freight - any kind of hammer - mallet you want.  And cheap.

Then when they wear out (in about 10 years) you will have a good idea of what works and doesn't work and just what you will want to buy.

'Course esthetics come into play after about a year.

Just don't use steel on steel - you'll mushroom the shaft of the punch. Water and patience.

In reality, the bigger punches are usually suited for machines - I use a Big Green Machine for rivets, eyelets and snappers, and they're pretty good as impressions.

Been using the stupid little Tandy poly hammer for years. and for tooling, it still works just fine. Now that I'm doing bigger projects that require more holes (it can be a real drag punching stitching holes with an awl), I'm finding I need a better tool with which to whack (It sure doesn't get my corner punches through 5oz leather!). Years ago I got a rubber mallet that I really didn't care for, talk about bounce! However, as has been said, there's a hammer for every use and moving into a 200+ year old house that mallet is good for re-setting things that shift.

Been eyeing the dead blow hammers (Harbor Freight is not far) and thought about that. In other groups I'm in that hammer (notably setting grommets), they will often use a brass head hammer.

Casing the leather properly is equally important.  Make sure you study the proper methods to ensure the best results.

Hey Folks... can I ask a related question here.  I have bought some of those craft tool stamps (small set with a few vmbasic bevelers,  backgrounders, veniers etc etc) and a couple of high quality tapered mauls so that I can practice stamping leather prior to starting a proper leather craft course in a few weeks time.  

I noticed that just the little bit of practice stamping that I did left a couple of quite large dents in the surface of the BK maul. Is this a normal part of the process or have I already damaged my rather expensive maul.

Edited by AussieTanker

Did you case your leather? If it's to dry you will have to hit pretty hard and if it's to wet it'll be mushy.

1 hour ago, AussieTanker said:

Hey Folks... can I ask a related question here.  I have bought some of those craft tool stamps (small set with a few vmbasic bevelers,  backgrounders, veniers etc etc) and a couple of high quality tapered mauls so that I can practice stamping leather prior to starting a proper leather craft course in a few weeks time.  

I noticed that just the little bit of practice stamping that I did left a couple of quite large dents in the surface of the BK maul. Is this a normal part of the process or have I already damaged my rather expensive maul.

yes it is and no you haven't.  Keep on practicing

1 hour ago, chuck123wapati said:

yes it is and no you haven't.  Keep on practicing

:17:

Dead blow and a very small ball peen hammer

it is all about the correct water content

if the leather is cased correctly it really does not matter which hammer you us