mike6642

Sewing machine for light leather

I sew belts, holsters, and other items on my cowboy 227r, what I need advice for a machine for light leather such as wallets. I find when using thread below size 92 a problem. I looked at Juki 1451s but the reviews were not good.  I am sure that people will say that the cowboy will work fine, and that’s okay but I want a light machine just set up for light work with leather, canvass,etc.

I sometimes use a 1920s Singer 31-15 straight stitch machine for flat, thin sewing work, like wallet interiors, pants hems, linings, and other thin leather jobs under 4 ounces. It is a drop feed only machine that takes all manner of presser feet, including an actual roller foot. I limited mine to #69 bonded and under. Heavier thread usually requires heavier tension and pressure springs and I keep this machine for very light work.

Being a tailoring machine with drop feed, there are three different combinations of throat plate and feed dog, ranging from very close narrow teeth to wide spaced out aggressive teeth. The roller foot conversion kit includes an aggressive single row feed dog that fits under the roller wheel, plus a matching throat plate. In effect, this converts a 31-15 into a 31-20 machine which is favored by boot makers doing decorative stitching on boot uppers with thin thread and thin needles.

The 31 class uses a Class 15 bobbin that goes inside a bobbin case that pops into the shuttle under a sliding plate on the left side of the needle.

Thanks for responding to my question, I read most of your comments and articles enjoying them greatly. If you had to pick a sewing machine today what would you choose.

5 hours ago, mike6642 said:

Thanks for responding to my question, I read most of your comments and articles enjoying them greatly. If you had to pick a sewing machine today what would you choose.

I already have a straight stitch machine for light work. But, if I didn't, I'd look at a Consew or Juki straight stitch machine (like the DLN-5410NJ-7). Since I don't sew very fast, I would look at a manually oiled machine rather than a self oiled model. You might also consider a top and bottom feed walking foot machine, maybe even a portable walikng foot machine.

Thanks I think I’ll look at the Juki

Those are all domestic sewing machines, and while they may work on some (thin) leathers they're not really ideal.

I think dikman has a good point, I would not class them as leather sewing machines, they are more suited to sewing heavy material or light canvas at best.

Some of my machines are older then me and still sew like they did when new, I would hate to see one of those after sewing leather for a while.

They look like my daughters plastic fantastic sewing machine, the plastic twists as it sews anything heavier then bed sheets.

Bert.

I have hidden the reply with the link to the domestic sewing machines because it was a spam post by an affiliate marketer and was also not relevant to industrial leather sewing machines.