RBELLO

Sheath for a Super and Safety Skivers

Hi Everyone,

I am sure most of you have used or come across the Super Skiver or perhaps its brother the Safety Skiver that looks like a Potato peeler pictured below.

I am trying to figure out how to properly store them without cutting myself every time I reach for either of them.

Don't like the open blade in my work area so I figured I would create a sheath for them so they can be properly stored.

The design is just not coming to me with such an exposed curved blade.

I searched the forums but could not find anything like this so I figured I would ask you kind folks.

Have any of you made a sheath/holder for either one of these or have any suggestions?

Thanks in advanced for your help and recommendations.

Roger

skivers.jpg

Could you make something that covers just the blade area, not the handle? Like those axe-head covers, or the covers for head knives. That would reduce the complexity of trying to work in the angled handle piece. 

I use a rectangular pouch to store my 45mm rotarty cutter after I cut myself reaching for it. It's from soft pebble-grain leather, and it sure isn't fancy. 

Something like a tool roll maybe if you have more than one.

I agree Alaisiagae

I should only need to cover the head section that has the blade portion.

Just can't figure out a nice looking wrap around that wont be cut be the curved blade.

Roger

chuck123wapati,

A tool roll would work when storing it.

I still would like something I can hang on the wall and get to easier.

But I might have to settle for the tool roll, had not thought of that.

Thanks

Roger

Ah! If you want to hang them on a wall, why use a cover at all?

Drill the ends of the handles and hang them on a nail or a hook. fit a short loop of cord if you need to

Or a pouch - cum - holster that you fix to the wall, and just drop the skiver into it

3 minutes ago, zuludog said:

Ah! If you want to hang them on a wall, why use a cover at all?

Drill the ends of the handles and hang them on a nail or a hook. fit a short loop of cord if you need to

Or a pouch - cum - holster that you fix to the wall, and just drop the skiver into it

Zuludog,

I like the pouch idea. I don't want to leave it exposed on my wall.

I have limited space so I can see myself reaching for something and if it's on a loop getting sliced with it.

The pouch might work.

I was just wondering if anyone had made a sheath for it or something like it.

Thanks again for the idea.

Roger

24 minutes ago, RBELLO said:

chuck123wapati,

A tool roll would work when storing it.

I still would like something I can hang on the wall and get to easier.

But I might have to settle for the tool roll, had not thought of that.

Thanks

Roger

most tool rolls have holes in each corner to hang on the wall. it could take care of a bunch of your tool storage at once.

25 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

most tool rolls have holes in each corner to hang on the wall. it could take care of a bunch of your tool storage at once.

Chuck,

I didn't think about hanging the tool roll.

Thanks

Roger

Sorry about this but there is another option, when working with sharp tools rule one always remember which is the sharp end.

Hope this helps

JCUK 

Just now, jcuk said:

Sorry about this but there is another option, when working with sharp tools rule one always remember which is the sharp end.

Hope this helps

JCUK 

Don't be sorry, I totally agree.

I also understand and believe that sharp items should be secured.

I don't get cut when I use them, it happens when reaching for something around it or if they are on the workbench I don't want the blade getting damaged.

But I do appreciate your insight. ; )

Roger

Put them somewhere in plan sight or somewhere you have to make a point of going to get them, again not a good idea reaching around for sharp tools.

JCUK

13 minutes ago, jcuk said:

Put them somewhere in plan sight or somewhere you have to make a point of going to get them, again not a good idea reaching around for sharp tools.

JCUK

Agreed, Thank You.

Roger

No worries 

JCUK

I have some fairly rigid white foam . . . cut a round hole in it . . . stuck it down in there.  Took all of 15 seconds . . . the solution will outlast me . . . by decades . . . unless someone comes in after I'm worm food and tosses it.

Or cut the bottom off a long skinny pill jar . . . screw the lid to a board . . . put the bottle down into the lid . . . drop the skiver into the bottle. . .  done.

May God bless,

Dwight

2 minutes ago, Dwight said:

I have some fairly rigid white foam . . . cut a round hole in it . . . stuck it down in there.  Took all of 15 seconds . . . the solution will outlast me . . . by decades . . . unless someone comes in after I'm worm food and tosses it.

Or cut the bottom off a long skinny pill jar . . . screw the lid to a board . . . put the bottle down into the lid . . . drop the skiver into the bottle. . .  done.

May God bless,

Dwight

Nice and simple.

Thanks

Roger

Possibly make a hard slip-on cover from hand-shaped thermoset plastic (goes by different names, Shapelock for example, becomes malleable around 60C in hot water)?

I have a similar problem and an idea: Would a magnetic knife holder (the things normally on kitchen walls) work for the cutting tools?

I use a leather "canister" (like a map tube) to store my skiver and Xacto knives in. Keeps the sharp side away from my fingers!

I never thought there was enough exposed blade on either of them to worry about. The safety skiver I just pulled a HEAVY knotted thong through the handle and hang on the pegboard. The other one hangs in a pegboard loop. 45 years and nary a scratch. My head knife and Japanese skiver on the other hand both have sheaths. Not for fear of cuts, but to protect the edges.

Edited by tsunkasapa

I had the same thought when I got mine and was carrying around all my tools in a bag. Folded over a piece of scrap, added a rivet on one side and a snap on the other.

SkiverScabbard.jpg

This calls for a harder inner case. Make it in a thermoset plastic, sand it flat, and apply a leather cover over that.

You might need a thin shim stopping the thermoset getting into every nook and cranny, ie just wrap it in 1oz scrap and cover that with cling film before covering with the plastic.

Edited by Rahere