Gymnast

Covid-19 and disinfection of leather surfaces

In Denmark sports associations got demands for the comming season to disinfect common surfaces between each class of training. We have got some gymnastic equipment with some leather covers. I have been informed, that substances such as alcohol should be bad for leather. What do you suggest to use?

Edit: This is one equipment: 
852687905_Trplint.thumb.jpg.2ca4adbc1e29709a654c15103bf94a51.jpg

Edited by Gymnast

Good Question .... Following :)

How about a laundry or bathroom grade  disinfectant ? Either liquid or spray.   May not ( all )  have  alcohol, but I would think that theres enough chemicals in  them that would do the job ?  Using a leather conditioner/ spray  straight after  , won't do any harm either.  

HS

1 hour ago, Handstitched said:

How about a laundry or bathroom grade  disinfectant ? Either liquid or spray.   May not ( all )  have  alcohol, but I would think that theres enough chemicals in  them that would do the job ?  Using a leather conditioner/ spray  straight after  , won't do any harm either.  

HS

I would agree. I use at least 70% alcohol and an conditioner after a few uses of the former.

If what I have read is correct, you only need a good quality soap to kill this virus.

The 70% alcohol is not necessary if you use soap and that will not harm leather like alcohol would.

Bert.

@Bert51 or the good ol' ' Glen 20 '  :)    Must be similar products in Denmark no doubt. 

HS

Another approach: Tenbroeke Railway Engineering have a viable UV-C light killer, for large area purge. Clear the gym, switch the lights on.

Thank you very much for all the response.

Just for the record. The problem in Denmark is quite low at the moment with 18 in hospital out of 5.8 mill citicens. Occationally we do have local areas with problems.

Most surfaces we need to disinfect is covers of mats made of vinyl (PVC). Then we got some leather. I think most gymnastics clubs in Denmark will be using ordinary soap or general purpose cleaning products. This is one solution proposed by video(speaker in danish): https://www.facebook.com/PEredskaber/videos/3572701646131449/?__tn__=%2Cd%2CP-R&eid=ARC1T5L9r0qLl8aHqRsStBkEFrX2YncBTMW1itonleKpWKIpO7dGHoihAs_l_zUkGN9jktUaDZC7D586

We have some soft mats with a stretch knitted fabric (jersey) with viscose in it on the top of the mat. No solution has been found here and I think most will accept that we cannot clean them.

Then we have to remove all common yoga mats. People need to have their own mat. The virus can go into the mats in ways, that we cannot clean or kill in an efficient way.

Soap is effective on virus, but is is hard to use on hands without a sink. Therefore alcohol gel is used for hand disinfection only and it is used quite often with many dispensers around.

We got no requirements on masks. This is not a political issue here. Scientists in Denmark do not find sufficient evidence for the use of masks, but some debate is going on among them. But it is demanded in some areas like public transport. Coaches may deside to use it, because they will touch and get close to many gymnasts. We also need to record who is there.

UV-light could be a very interesting way to solve the problem. However we do know, that UV-light do affect life time of materials like  PVC. We know, that we should not use these mats too much in the sun. But we need to know what the limits are, because it may not be any high dosis we need. This is a robot with UV-light moving around at its own (but of cause controlled) in a danish hospital (just for the picture): https://www.tv2fyn.dk/assens/frimaerkesamler-kan-jeg-bruge-uv-lys-til-desinficere-overflader  . I saw a company selling UV-lamps saying, that everything was sold out now, so their might be delivery problems.

That is why I cited the company, a major and very serious transport equipment supplier. Nobody expects us to become instant experts, but it might be worth checking with the University, for example. I suspect you're confusing UV frequencies, I'm specifically talking about UV-C. Another thing I'd check on is medical contra-indications.l

Another consideration is that viruses only reproduce in vivo, although they can survive outside for a while. The survivability on different materials varies, but is not cited to be more than 3 days, to the best of my knowledge, and less in daylight. Therefore I suggest airing the fabric materials .

Edited by Rahere

When you search google on the subject of UV-light and Corona, at lot is going on right now. Disinfection by UV-light is not new. I know UV-light has been used for disinfection of packing materials for milk and juice in the machines just before the liquids are filled in and the cartoon is packed. It has been like that for at least 20 years. This technology is already in use many other places, but of cause now with Covid-19 at lot more places are relevant for this technology.

Yes, ventilation of rooms are also a matter of consern as well as how people may come and exit the room.