Thought I would share with the good group of Leather making, shoe loving folks my first made pair of custom leather sandals which I found instructions for on the Fine Leatherworking website.  If you have not been on this site you might want to take a look around.  They have some nice BLOGS going and resources not found anywhere else including lessons and high quality hand tools.  Sean Aquino is a Master leather craftsman and instructor who has taught me a lot and holds both one-on-one and group lessons on the skills of fine leather work from beginner to advanced levels.   Let me know how you like these custom sandals.  I'm changing the design to eliminate the custom element by following the lead of Berkinstock.   I'll be selling these out of an Artisian Shop I'm associated with in SB California and measuring and fitting for each customer would be impossible.   Hence the buckles.   The next generation that I made I added a layer of cork and some Polyurethane padding to give the shoe some initial comfort and long term foot molding attributes.  Still, the break in period is significant and requires the wearer to participate in the process.  Not like the Buy-and-Go production foot ware from Off shore!   More photos to follow if anyone is interested. 

Silverd

20200716_204230[1].jpg

Edited by Silverd

Those are wonderful! Your bones will wear out before those will.

those look great what kind of sole just leather?

The soles are covered with Soletech materal.  The material is available through Soletech distributors and Amazon.  I purchased the smooth material in 1/4" and 3/8" thicknesses (they refer to it in units of Irons so 12 iron and 18 iron) in the 50-60 shore A hardness.  Other like material is available.   They offer the same material in a variety of thickness.  They offer the same material with a diamond pattern one side which I have since received and think will benefit the safety aspects of the shoes however the smooth sole material is very grippy.  ...and they offer a "Cloud" version which is softer (40 Shore A that is not recommended for the out sole but may serve as in insole cushion).  

The latest design adds 1/4" of sheet cork as an insole compliant member and a continuous 1/4" Soletech out sole layer with a 1/4" heel.   It also has an adjustable Arch strap which makes the perimeter sewing easier.  I need to reduce the image sizes so I can post more than one at a time.   If interested I will do this so you can see close ups of the construction and more generational design styles.

Silverd

1 hour ago, battlemunky said:

Yes indeed!  The original version design are quite a challenge to break in.   Davy recommends using saddle soap and water on the first week of initial wearings to keep your feet from forming to the sandals!   Ive worn them for several weeks and they are getting better but slowly.  Davy provides a 10 year warranty!  

Silverd

20200716_211128[1].jpg

On 8/13/2020 at 3:08 PM, battlemunky said:

Latest Version

Silverd

IMG_4149.jpg

20200829_220602.jpg

IMG_4154.jpg

20200829_220250.jpg

These are great @Silverd!

Off to the retail race

20200905_072327.jpg