LomaeArts

Pedersen Model 308

I recently acquired a Pedersen Model 308 Sole Stitcher.  I am yet to try stitching as it is cocered in years of dust and grime.  

I have read most of the threads here. As well as a manual I found. 

My meachanism looks great and works sell.

My reading shows:

• the bobin thread has to be waxed
  • the top thread is not waxed
  • you stitch Welt up

However what is not clear ( lack of detailed picture) is:

• How to adjust the bobbin tension, 
  • How adjust the stitch length 
  • Does the thread need to be waxed
  • Do I need to grove the sole

Any assistance on these will be much appreciated.

Edited by LomaeArts
further research done

I once had a Junker & Ruh SD28 but it did not suit my needs. I was able to sew unwaxed 207 Poly + linen thread w/o problems (top + bottom).

Screw #32 is for adjusting the top thread tension

image.png.8b56087a877c31fac6a2f198484cd285.png

Screw 25 is for the stitch length

image.png.33fd9840191a96f432362af355b06f3b.png

BTW - I can send you a German language manual with better pictures - just send me a PM

Edited by Constabulary

You may already have this manual but in case here is this one - https://www.bootmaker.com/Junker_Ruh_Manual.pdf

Constabulary - PM sent, those images are so good.

RockyAussie - yeah I have that manual.

Ok UPDATE.

I degreased and oiled the stitcher.  I threaded it with 150D waxed thread as that seems to the size that was on the machine.

Initial observations:

• it is super easy to use
  • The waxed thread works well
  • the  needles that came with it are #6 and lots of #7.  these are big. 
  • the stitch length is about 4 to 6 mm
  • the Tension needs attention

I like using more than my Landis model 12 due its simplicity.  The photos below show the unit on my dining room table

IMG_20200814_204211.jpg

IMG_20200814_204202.jpg

IMG_20200814_204129.jpg

IMG_20200814_204154.jpg

IMG_20200814_204143.jpg

I started to try stiching with the Pedersen Model 308.  

After repacking and adjusting the tension spring, i got some great stiches.

Then is stopped stiching - IE the top tread doesn't look the bobin.

I note the shuttle and bobin as very slopy, and wonder if it is the cause of the issue. 

changing the needle didn't help.

shuttle.jpg

Edited by LomaeArts
spelling and needle

I know nothing about them, never seen one before,  but that is  just beeeautiful , lovely and old   :) 

HS

Shuttle has to be sloppy - its is a so called elastic shuttle which is oscillating and the thread is pulled UNDER the shuttle while forming the stitch - it is just like a patcher shuttle just a lot larger. What kind of leather are you using? This machine is designed for stitching stiff / rigid shoe sole leather.

Edited by Constabulary

I,am Not Sure about these Junkers/Pederson type models, but normally the bobbin post has a tension spring also?? at least on other sole stitchers.

Thanks for the replies. 

I have included a sample I was doing before it quit on me.

Constabulary:  that is a good explanation. I am stiching 5.5mm bridle leather that is a bit softer that sole leather.  I am starting to think i have a tension issue  as I fine the tread slides under the trnsion discs and jams.

jimi: The bobbin tension hasn't changed, but is pretty tight.

IMG_20200828_124040.jpg

IMG_20200828_124035.jpg

On 8/26/2020 at 9:06 PM, Handstitched said:

I know nothing about them, never seen one before,  but that is  just beeeautiful , lovely and old   :) 

HS

Yeah, it hwas a display item in the shop I bought.  I like a lot and if I can make it reliable will using on hand made leather sandles.

The cover plate has to match the needle size (see German manual, picture 14, #36 and page 22 / 23, #251, #252) Maybe the plate is worn or does not match your needle size. Needle size should be marked on the plate (maybe not at the Pedersen - don´t know).

have you pulled up the bobbin thread before you start sewing?

Reg. tension have you wrapped the thread around the top tension wheel?

grafik.png.be8cb37a1023820f7f772f7c7538387d.png

Also, in one of your above pictures I see the thread is not on the machines spool post. Its coming from an external spool holder. Usually the thread spool is held on the machines spool post and is secured with a nut  AND a spring., the spring puts some tension / drag the on the spool - maybe that's an issue - don´t know. Jimi gave that hint in his post already.

#1 Nut, #3 spring

grafik.png.b6b035241e6232c27a3cabb7e6dfb58d.png

Edited by Constabulary

I need to source a thread reel to try the spool post.  I don't this is my issue, but will investigate later.

While I realise these are old and outdated, is it possible to buy spares?  I would like to buy the following parts:

55025, 55027, 55525 & 55527

How do you buy needels for this machine? What is the modern name on them?
I have just found af Vilhelm Pedersen machine.

A old now dead Shoemaker told me about this machine 7 years ago. (I worked with him for 3 weeks and he had a shoemaker museum)
It was invented during the "krim war" in 1865. A small part of the iceland had forced the shoemakers to deliver 4000 boots for turkish soldiers every day, As a result a local shoemaker invented the machine. A British military captain were involved in the war as a "observer". He stole a machine and back in England he made the first patent on the machine in 1867.

Hi.

I have a Vilh.Pedersen.Høng sho sewing machine I'm thinking to sell. Anybody got any idea how much it is worth ?

Thanks to people who have posted photos and information about the Pedersen sole stitcher. I am trying to get mine working for the first time since I bought it but can't get the needle thread to pick up the bottom thread from the shuttle. The shuttle is missing the straight arm or latch which holds the bobbin and thread in place. The shuttle is part no 148, does anyone know if it is possible to buy another shuttle with all its bits in tact? The photo from LomaeArts posted August 25, 2020 shows the bobbin held in the shuttle by the short arm. 

Any suggestions most gratefully followed up.

Thanks 

On 2/14/2023 at 4:52 PM, johnwscott64 said:

Thanks to people who have posted photos and information about the Pedersen sole stitcher. I am trying to get mine working for the first time since I bought it but can't get the needle thread to pick up the bottom thread from the shuttle. The shuttle is missing the straight arm or latch which holds the bobbin and thread in place. The shuttle is part no 148, does anyone know if it is possible to buy another shuttle with all its bits in tact? The photo from LomaeArts posted August 25, 2020 shows the bobbin held in the shuttle by the short arm. 

Any suggestions most gratefully followed up.

Thanks 

Unfortunately new parts are not available .However i can still buy new needles. You best way forward is to buy a "spare" machine  and keep it for parts . I believe that Pederson and Junker parts are interchangeable .

I recently found a Pederson machine and bought it without hesitation . I knew what it was but the seller either didn't or did not value it as much as i do . My intention was to restore it and put back to work in my shoe making trade . I love the simplicity of the Pederson ( about 40 parts ) compared to my Landis (500 ) parts . The missing parts i made to suit my needs and the machine started its first day on the job today . I am very impressed to say the least . I will still be on the look out for a spare machine with all the parts .   attached are some photos . 

pederson 308.JPG

308 stitch.JPG

I wonder if I can ask anyone with a working Model 308 could post some photos showing the position of the shuttle when the hand lever is fully extended up?

Thanx in advance

Matthew

I spend most of last night searching for video I had seen.

Well I came across this youtube this morning