brainmonster

Springfield Leather Veg-tanned leather quality?

I noticed springfield veg-tanned leather is quite cheap. Not the Hermann Oak, but their generic veg-tanned runs from $5-$9 only per square foot. Is it any good? It doesn't say what tannery it's from, but wondering if it's still good quality. I'd rather experiment with this than using the more expensive Wickett and Craig leather that I have.

Anyone have any experiences with their cowhide leather? I just got some veg tan pigskin in from them and the quality is pretty low, worse than I thought. It's really dried out and a kind of weird reddish/pink color. Definitely will have to dye it and it's a lot stiffer than I thought it would be for a pretty thin tooling leather.

I bought the tooling pre-cut of 6/7oz Top Grade (Grade A) and I thought it was good, but I've never used the premium/good stuff like Herman Oak and W&C, etc. so I can't compare. The piece I got was flawless, no marred surfaces, flexible. I ended up tooling some of it (just some stamps, no swivel knife) and it turned out just fine. Dyeing was a breeze, no complaints there. I haven't bought cut sides from them, but I notice the sides have two tiers of quality, so keep that in mind when selecting. If you had a problem with the pigskin, give them a call - their customer service is friendly, and I would be surprised if they didn't try to help you out somehow. 

Edited by Alaisiagae

I have bought several veg tan hides from them and have used the HO also. I have always got better than I expected for the price. You need to contact them, with your issues. They are a company that truly want's to get it right. 

1 hour ago, rleather said:

I have bought several veg tan hides from them and have used the HO also. I have always got better than I expected for the price. You need to contact them, with your issues. They are a company that truly want's to get it right. 

Sounds good but it doesn't seem like "I don't like it" seems like a good reason to complain or that they would do anything. It's mostly just the quality/color is quite as I liked it, and it's hard to represent color in a picture. It makes me wonder about the quality of the cowhide is if I buy any in bulk. Perhaps I'll try to ask them for a sample before I buy any cowhide.

would you tell me the sku# of exactly what you bought?

If you do not have the sku the product number or a link to the sales page.  

There are different grades and thicknesses   trying to determine what you bought  

I buy most of my leather from Springfield. I think their quality is quite good, but you do have to pay attention to the grade of the leather. The better grades are slightly more expensive, but decent quality in my opinion. They also sell by the square foot which I like if I need something for a specific project.

On 8/16/2020 at 2:55 PM, brainmonster said:

Sounds good but it doesn't seem like "I don't like it" seems like a good reason to complain or that they would do anything. It's mostly just the quality/color is quite as I liked it, and it's hard to represent color in a picture. It makes me wonder about the quality of the cowhide is if I buy any in bulk. Perhaps I'll try to ask them for a sample before I buy any cowhide.

While you are right about the pictures. Veg is one of the hardest things I have that I take pictures of. We are pretty good about working with the customers.

The import stuff is much more cost effective, but it doesn't tool quite like HO. Now that doesn''t mean it doesn't tool, but it doesn't cut quite as smooth as HO.

If you call in and talk with Liz...I bet she would get you a sample sent out.

I am glad to hear you get most of your stuff from us!

@TargetRockLeather I am glad to hear you get most of your stuff from us!

1 hour ago, TonySFLDLTHR said:

While you are right about the pictures. Veg is one of the hardest things I have that I take pictures of. We are pretty good about working with the customers.

The import stuff is much more cost effective, but it doesn't tool quite like HO. Now that doesn''t mean it doesn't tool, but it doesn't cut quite as smooth as HO.

Thanks for the response, the pigskin has grown on me, the color isn't as odd as I thought, and it's quite smooth, so I think I'll work with it. I think it will darken a little bit in the light as well.

I wonder if the import veg-tan is a little bit drier/stiffer than the HO veg tan. That would make sense since I think I read that they do a faster tanning with the import veg-tan which takes half the time, by adding sodium phosphates. In my experience if a leather is dried out it never quite recovers even if you apply a conditioner, and it can't ever really be "fixed" by oiling it and that nicer leather is always going to be nicer, at least in it's natural state.

Just wondering about the quality of the Hermann Oak vs. the import veg tan in general.

In general from what I've read if you plan on dying/finishing the leather it doesn't really matter if you use HO or import leather, and it's worth saving money, but if you plan on leaving the leather untreated/undyed it seems like HO might be a better choice.

Edited by brainmonster

On 8/19/2020 at 11:17 AM, TonySFLDLTHR said:

TargetRock  is not the only one.  I buy ALL my leather from Springfield

I have not received any bad veg tan from you guys. 

Customer service at Springfield is hard to beat   

20 hours ago, Frodo said:

TargetRock  is not the only one.  I buy ALL my leather from Springfield

I have not received any bad veg tan from you guys. 

Customer service at Springfield is hard to beat   

Thanks for the endorsement. I think I'll go ahead and order some import double shoulders from Springfield, it is just way more economical than using HO.

Pay an extra $5.00 and buy a grab bag.  If you are not happy with the contents. I  will give you your 5 bucks back

with no questions asked.  

I made a recent trip to Springfield, MO to move my youngest daughter into her college apartment.  It was the first opportunity I've had in a while to visit Springfield Leather.  I was amazed at how much it has changed since my last visit only two years ago.  Changes for the better.  They had all kinds of "specials", both inside and outside the store.  When you walk in, you pass by a number of tables loaded with odds-and-ends and a lot of great values.  I got several wallet backs in exotic prints for $2.00 a pop.  They are pre-cut, corners rounded, the works.  I also bought one of their $25.00 sides.  Couldn't believe the quality.  Unfortunately, you pretty much need to be there to rummage through what they have to choose something appropriate.  But all of the sides were of tremendous value.  While there I saw Jeff T., who usually is out on the floor helping people.  He is very kind, patient and knows his leather.  I also saw Kevin, the owner, working out on the floor as usual.  

I know things are crazy right now, but if you ever plan a trip to or through the midwest, consider stopping in.  I guarantee it will be worth it.

Springfield Leather is where I source 90% of my leather. Given, I'm relatively new to leatherwork but I can tell quality pieces when I find them. They are also extremely will priced.