Doxnet

Thread cost Vs Quality

Hi,

I do sew with nylon V69, V92 and V138 on my juki Lu-563. I live in Canada near Montreal. A lot of sewing manufacturer can be found near me. I have found that the price is not the same regarding the same amount of thread between manufacturer.

Example: V69 thread can be buy for 25$CAD to 60$CAD for a pound of thread...

Witch me let me think:  do I waste my money paying too much for thread? Is higher the price equal to higher quality? 

I cannot always have the information regarding the strenght of the thread and specifications to compare between the manufacturer.

What do you guys think?

I don't use that small of thread size, I normally use  277 and sometimes 207 or 346. In any of those thread sizes a 1lb spool of high quality bonded nylon thread runs around $25 US/$33 CAD. If you are paying as much as $60 for a 1lb spool your getting ripped off. 

For comparison after tax I buy Coats Nylbond from my supplier at about £10 per king cone (1500m of tkt20/v138, 3000m of tkt40/v69). I think that those are 1lb each. Its top quality thread, never any problems with it.

AFAIK barring UV damage strength of nylon thread is much of a muchness for any particular size.