Workinman

Making molds out of wood

I've been wet molding leather trays using a stainless steel bowl, and a Pyrex casserole dish purchased on a local junkin trip.  Unfortunately, the bowl makes a tray that's too small,  and the Pyrex dish is also about an inch too narrow for what I need.

I'm planning to make molds out of solid wood , but am not sure what to seal the wood with ?

Thanks for your suggestions  !!

resin would be great but you can also use poly acrylic like for floors...

Well it depends on two things, how long you want the mold to last and how often you're going to use it. 

Even if you leave it uncoated it will generally be ok for a very long time, many years, as long as you give the timber sufficient time to dry after you've used it.  Might expand or contract a little or even develop a slight twist/warp, but that's probably insignificant for the intended purpose, it will still work as a mold.

But if it stays almost permanently wet because you use it back to back then it will need something.  Even a coat of cooking oil will help a fair bit, but a coat of epoxy resin will make it practically water proof for a fairly long time.  Or you can go to your local hardware store and ask what they recommend for outdoor furniture and use that.

Personally I made a few different molds for pen cases and leathermans and I didn't bother coating them with anything, but I only use them rarely.

Edited by Spyros

11 hours ago, Workinman said:

I've been wet molding leather trays using a stainless steel bowl, and a Pyrex casserole dish purchased on a local junkin trip.  Unfortunately, the bowl makes a tray that's too small,  and the Pyrex dish is also about an inch too narrow for what I need.

I'm planning to make molds out of solid wood , but am not sure what to seal the wood with ?

Thanks for your suggestions  !!

Use MDF. Laminate it to the thickness you want if its not available. Sand the cut edges smooth. Coat all with two thinned coats of waterproof PVA glue, then three coats of a gloss varnish, sanding smooth between coats.