Zinon

Boxing bag

I’ve been busy sketching patterns for a boxing bag and am at the sourcing stage of the project. 
Has anyone made a traditional boxing bag?

What would be the best leather to use? Is there a traditional type from a specific tannery I should look at? And what thickness. I look forward to hearing from anyone that has experience in making boxing bags.

All input will be greatly appreciated.

8DA08216-A12A-4697-B701-913666DFC622.jpeg

@Zinon G'day, 

Wow !! What a project you're taking on .  I don't know much about them,  but this is straight from wiki in regards to its contents.  Some are filled with air or water, I didn't know that  .....yey, I learnt something today  :)

Hope it helps, even just a bit to get you started. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punching_bag 

I guess they would be around 50-60 kg's ? So you would need some pretty hefty hardware for it hang from the roof .  I'm sure someone on here that  likes to exercise can  answer that  ? 

HS

You will probably want 8oz or thicker leather = even up to 12oz

That seems too thick - but look at bags used a lot and you will see ALL of them wrapped in duct tape as they are all worn out in one area.  The main punching area.

You could make a very unique bag that that is lighter weight (8oz) then using eyelets (a lot of eyelets) lash in a 12 oz center section that gets hit and kicked a lot.  Eyelets are placed on a sewn on strip of leather around the bag - top and bottom

When it wears through (in about 10 years), it can be replaced easily.  Just don't place the holes for the replacement center close to the edge - tear through from being punched.

Filler - buy from Amazon.  Shredded memory foam is a good filler - packed tight.  One reason for bags being damaged - the filler is no longer working well in the punched area and that area collapses.

Nothing simple - is there?  Just a bag, right!?

@Handstitched

Thanks for the link! Was a good read.

I'm looking forward to the challenge. I’ve narrowed down the hardware(D-rings and swivel). Hopefully I can narrow down the leather.

If I’m being honest, this whole idea is so that I have a good excuse to buy a good sewing machine... besides the end product being something awesome I can hang up, and possibly brag a little about.

So the next thing I’d have to figure out is probably going to be machine selection. But that’s gna be a whole new post, given I don’t find the info I need with some searching.

thanks again for the input.

@DanC

Thanks for the thickness suggestion, makes sense.

I’ll attach a pic of a part of one of my sketches that I think is what you mean minus the eyelets. I’ll double stitch the top and bottom section of the centre panel so to mitigate any injury, at the end of the day I’m going to be kicking the bag too(Muay Thai). Probably should have specified what punishment the bag is going to be receiving.

I think if it was simple, it wouldn’t be any fun and really welcome the challenge to my skillset.D3E22C79-E7CC-4674-984E-F53260B63A20.thumb.jpeg.6163f509bc203c390b0258905833f9fa.jpeg

Just Kick and punch the bag - high and low - then make the band at least 4" wider then your "work zone".  If no bag, have someone estimate your work zone with a ruler.

Think about what will happen when you stitch the band to the bag.  Will the band take all the abuse or will it transmit to the stitching also - won't the stitching cord have to be quite heavy (nothing wrong with that - but good) to absorb the strain abuse.

I may be overthinking, but that's how I see it.

Don't forget to make a reminder that on your Birthday every year you re-stuff the bag.  (see above)  Or every Dec and May (6 mos.)

15 hours ago, Zinon said:

If I’m being honest, this whole idea is so that I have a good excuse to buy a good sewing machine... besides the end product being something awesome I can hang up, and possibly brag a little about.

I love that, the 'ulterior motive'   and the right to brag & show off a bit  :) :) 

Theres plenty of help on here in regards to sewing machines. You would need something fairly heavy for punching bags.  If you're not sure, just ask :) 

HS

Classically, you'd use a pillar bed industrial machine - one where the gubbins aren't surrounded by a flat platform, so you've a LOT more space for material.

Traditionally, these were filled with sawdust, which strained the sewing and made a mess. If hand-sewing, it's definitely awl work. Reminds me of one of the Victorian battleships, where the rivetters mate rivetted himself in.