Sign in to follow this  
ScHwErV

Mounting deer antlers with leather trim

Ok, this isnt really a leatherworking question, but I plan on using leather to complete the mount, so maybe someone knows how to do this.

I have had Deer Antlers mounted professionally before. The guy who does it places the antlers into a mold and then pours a "plaster-type" substance on the the antler base. Once hard, he wraps the mold with leather and fastens it to a plaque.

I know this substance isnt plaster because plaster would break when screwed to the plaque.

I am wondering if anyone has done this, what materials are involved, and where I can get them.

psst, Johanna -- I posted something finally :)

Eric

http://www.jimallred.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=80

this place sells kits

http://www.jimallred.com/antlermountinstructions.aspx and here's some instructions

http://www.jimallred.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=50

this looks like the sauce that you would use

but of course....i know nothing of taxidermy....only of repeated castration :(

That is the commercially available kit that they sell in stores. The pros use a different method. The reason I am looking for the pro method is that I am looking for a long term solution rather than having to buy the "Mounting Blocks" each time.

Some of that stuff is cheaper though than I have previously seen it, so thanks for the links.

Got these two replies off list:

Have them check http://vandykestaxidermy.com they carry all mounting supplies.

(They are a division of Cabellas)

and

I have a friend that has a taxidermy shop and I have watched him many times do exactly what you are describing. I believe it is nothing more than automotive bondo, used to repair minor dents in automobile body repair.

Johanna

Now were getting somewhere. Automotive bondo I can get and it would be worth a shot. I have been considering just making my own mold since I seem to be striking out in that search.

These plates (from above links) appear to be plaster of paris: http://www.jimallred.com/detail.aspx?ID=439

I also have seen styrofoam with felt glue over it for these center cover caps. It serves to cover the bases of the antlers which are attached to the wood plaque with screws.

You might purchase one of those sets, they're cheap enough, and use one to make you a mold. Work in reverse. I believe you can get a kit to make rubber molds like those used for plaster work.

Besides bondo, Marine-Tex is an option.

I've seen those center caps, like in the links dsenette posted above, made of styrofoam with a thin felt cover molded and glued over them. Gander Mountain used to sell them. Instead of being inletted on the front side like those in the links (above) the styrofoam is hollow on the backside so as to fit over the base of the antlers. If the hollow in the styrofoam is not large enough to slip over the skull plate, antler's base and screws, there's room for some carving and hollowing out of the foam. The antlers are attached to the wood shield with screws and the styrofoam cap is glued in place to hide the base of the antlers, screws, skull plate, etc.

I would think that cap could be covered with and unlimited assortment of exotic leathers, hair-on deerhide - let you imagination run wild.

Hope this makes sense. Don't know if it'll help ya.

Sounds like a fun project. Good luck with it.

regards,

Bill

Now were getting somewhere. Automotive bondo I can get and it would be worth a shot. I have been considering just making my own mold since I seem to be striking out in that search.

I was looking in my taxidermy book for something else and looked at antler mounting.

The book says to screw the skull plate to plywood and cover the bone with plaster. Then you can mount felt or leather over it and tack to the plywood. Then mount the whole thing to a nice backer board of your choice.

Tom Katzke

Central Oregon

My dad had his 10 point mounted using styrofoam, so I remember that method. Unfortunately it fell apart after a few years until I took it to a taxidermist and had it done right. Its wrapped in leather with a deer etched into the leather. Very nice looking mount and done using the method that I am looking for.

An antler mount with skin on deer hide would be awesome and is now something that I will look for when I get my next one to put on the wall. I think I know of a place around here that tans deer hide, I will be looking in their direction.

The method you describe may just be the ticket Tom. I know that the places that I have seen have an actual mold, but if you start with the antlers on the board first, then just mold around them, it should come up with a similar outcome. Ill give it a try.

Thanks for all the advice.

Eric

Schwerv- don't buy deerhide! I have many hides here that aren't doing anything but getting dusty, and no plans for any of them. Save a few bucks and buy the baby more stuff. I can send you some swatches so you can choose your color(s).

Johanna

I'm not kidding- there are at least 30 full deer skins in my shop, and a whole lot of scrap.

Well Mz. Jo, do you have a spotlight hanging up there among all those hides or have you gone hi-tech and graduated to NVDs ... lol