battlemunky

I made a head knife.

I ordered a Leather Wranglers PERK and it takes a while for them to get to the order so in the meantime I figured I'd take some inspiration from other members here (notable @chuck123wapati) and make my own round/head knife. It's currently curing in the vise and as soon as its done I just need to finish the handle, pretty it up some, and sharpen it. I used an angle grinder and a few sanders to get it where its at. Did my best not to overheat the blade but I did see the tips discolor from heat. I'm hoping to sharpen past that part and hit hardened steel IF I broke temper on it. Anyway, without further ado, here is the state the knife is right now and how it started:

IMG_Aug172020at42139PM.jpg

IMG_Aug172020at42005PM.jpg

Great start its gonna be a nice knife and a good learning experience. Yup you can sharpen back down to the temper easily if needed just take your time.

Good one, should be a nice blade when finished - and it didn't cost too much! Off-setting the head and handle is an interesting idea. I've made a couple the same way and I've been thinking of making a 1/2 head knife. I don't need it but I like making things.:)

Thanks @dikman! I did the offset based off a few designs where the offset is supposed to allow the different points to attack at different angles and do different cut jobs. This is my first round/head knifey thing so I don't even know what to do with it other than push cuts and roll cuts and some skiving. I've got to learn control, I noticed that during test cuts while sharpening.

I've got it mostly sharpened, which is super tricky compared to a normal knife. I've gotten sharpening dust all over the handle so I hope it'll clean up or else that whole character development part of its life has begun early. 

Looks like it should be a good one. I do think the timber and bottom rivet may be a bit too low for belt sharpening though. :dunno:

These things are actually quite dangerous to sharpen on a belt grinder! One of mine caught at the point and dug into the aluminium guide wheel on the grinder. It took a small chunk out of the wheel!

3 hours ago, dikman said:

Good one, should be a nice blade when finished - and it didn't cost too much! Off-setting the head and handle is an interesting idea. I've made a couple the same way and I've been thinking of making a 1/2 head knife. I don't need it but I like making things.:)

Have a look at YouTube videos by J H Leather. She does most of her work with a 1/2 head knife

I made a Japanese style leather knife from an old plane blade, so that's another possibility......as if you don't have enough to do 

10 hours ago, RockyAussie said:

Looks like it should be a good one. I do think the timber and bottom rivet may be a bit too low for belt sharpening though. :dunno:

What do you mean? I do most of my sharpening with a Lansky sharpener or sandpaper and a mouse pad. I'm interested to understand what you are getting at though, in case I get a belt sharpener and I'm not seeing in my mind how the timber and bottom rivet can get in the way. Help me see, please. When I was profiling the edge on the bench sander, the handle wasn't on and it was still a bit tricky.

For myself not being a hobbyist time is an important part in how I go about doing things. Like most I used to sharpen with stones etc but now days I find I can sharpen very well on the belt sander what is required in a couple of minutes followed up with some Tripoli polish on a rag wheel. As I keep the blade always facing away from the belt rotation I have never had any catching issues as described by dikman thankfully. There are a couple of pictures below to show what I use and what I am saying is that it would be hard to get much of a tapered edge if the handle gets in your way from you doing so. I will also put in a video link that shows why I like to have a broad taper on my knives.

DSC08037_resize.JPG

DSC03834_resize.JPG

Edited by RockyAussie

Sharpening knives edge up on a belt grinder is common practice but a head knife is not a normal knife shape! I should have done it edge down, as Brian did. I should have known better. Using a polishing wheel will tend to round off the edge, unlike using a regular strop, however it is quicker to get a sharp edge and when time is important it only takes seconds to touch up the edge.

Zuludog, I had a look at J H Leather's site and she has some good stuff on there. I like that "half-head" knife as you don't have to keep watching where the other point is! I'll make one later, when I finish off all the other jobs I have.:rolleyes2:

Thanks @RockyAussie. I used my belt sander with sort of like a stropping motion to get the initial grind. I have a rag wheel I'll mainly use at this point. I'm already running into a few issues with the design so I may just cut off the half I'm fighting with and go with a half head knife.

I think this is a done as I'm going to make it. It's scary sharp now so working on it is a little nerve racking. It isn't beautiful but it isn't ugly either. Skives like it was made to.

IMG_Aug192020at34121PM.jpg

IMG_Aug192020at34056PM.jpg

1 hour ago, battlemunky said:

It's scary sharp now so working on it is a little nerve racking. It isn't beautiful but it isn't ugly either. Skives like it was made to.

To me taint what it looks like its what you can do with it that counts. Well done.

What he said. I'm sure you'll make the next one different, now that you've got this experience under your belt.:)

Thanks @RockyAussie and @dikman. I think I may have to score a new used saw blade and make a few different things. It isn't easy, but it isn't hard either. Above all, it was fun.

how is the knife holding its edge?  the carbide tipped saw blades are not usually very good steel.  the saw blades best for repurposing for knives are the non tipped blades which use a better steel and are heat treated  to be harder.

Looks like you did a great job!

I like it because it is offset,  very nice work

11 hours ago, TLP said:

how is the knife holding its edge?  the carbide tipped saw blades are not usually very good steel.  the saw blades best for repurposing for knives are the non tipped blades which use a better steel and are heat treated  to be harder.

I've only done some test cuts and skiving so far so I'll have to get back to you on edge retention. For the little I've done it's cutting pretty well.

1 hour ago, DaveP said:

Looks like you did a great job!

Thanks @DaveP!

1 hour ago, Frodo said:

I like it because it is offset,  very nice work

Thanks @Frodo!

Turned out great! 

Hey Battlemunkey.  {{{{{{{A Joke for Battlemunky}}}}}}}

Can I join the cool club?

I do not have an ""OFFICIAL""  head knife but I have a ho-made kinda/sorta head knife

I hear the club has monthly meetings with fresh do-nuts and a secret decoder ring and password

I gotta get in this club. what about it?  does my knife make the cut?  or do i just get to park the cars? 

:crazy:

20200825_101637.thumb.jpg.4f89bb3abc3abc2a9f14b9896aa03a1e.jpg

6 hours ago, Frodo said:

Hey Battlemunkey.  {{{{{{{A Joke for Battlemunky}}}}}}}

Can I join the cool club?

I do not have an ""OFFICIAL""  head knife but I have a ho-made kinda/sorta head knife

I hear the club has monthly meetings with fresh do-nuts and a secret decoder ring and password

I gotta get in this club. what about it?  does my knife make the cut?  or do i just get to park the cars? 

:crazy:

20200825_101637.thumb.jpg.4f89bb3abc3abc2a9f14b9896aa03a1e.jpg

I'll give you my nomination!! LOL looks like it'll cut to me. 

a little more work on the ergonomics of the handle and it will be a very good tool I'm sure.

I've been binge watching Forged in Fire, and to quote Doug Marcaida "it weel cut!":)