Gia

Adler 291 Thread Cutter Problem

Hello everyone, 

I just got an Adler 291 with Efka variocontrol V720 which is quite surprising for its age. It has all its standard functions and everything works great, except for the bottom thread cutter. When I finish sewing, it cuts only the upper thread...

Does anybody know how to fix the bottom thread cutter? 

Also, could I switch its functions from the controller to these four buttons on the front of the machine? It works great with the pedal but it seems that the four buttons were deactivated. Only one of them is working, and it does only one stitch. 

Here's a picture with the machine:

Thank you in advance,
Gia

6B6D3346-5E61-48CC-B854-95EB47D5BF82.jpeg

4A3C8B46-F097-41BB-90B9-A7D799CE0179.jpeg

Cutting knife might be dull and have to be replaced.  Usually it is the fixed knife.  You need to get manuals on the motor.  It will have the perimeters which tells you how to reactivate the buttons  You can also contact Efka America in Georgia and ask to speak to Mike.  He is the expert on these motors.  Have the model number of the control box, motor when you call him.  He has helped me in the past.

glenn

2 hours ago, shoepatcher said:

Cutting knife might be dull and have to be replaced.  Usually it is the fixed knife.  You need to get manuals on the motor.  It will have the perimeters which tells you how to reactivate the buttons  You can also contact Efka America in Georgia and ask to speak to Mike.  He is the expert on these motors.  Have the model number of the control box, motor when you call him.  He has helped me in the past.

glenn

Thank you, Glenn!

I know that the knife should be adjusted somehow, I'm just trying to figure it out how.. 

Adler should have a mechanics manual for that machine.  See if you can get one.  The movable knife in the Adler  291/295 series is the one they copied when they designed the current M series that is the 867, 868, 869 machines.  It is different than the one in the 467/767 machines.  I could help you there.  You should have parts list, operations manual and mechanics manual for that machine.  it tells yo how to adjust and replace the trimming knife.

glenn

On 8/20/2020 at 4:36 AM, shoepatcher said:

Adler should have a mechanics manual for that machine.  See if you can get one.  The movable knife in the Adler  291/295 series is the one they copied when they designed the current M series that is the 867, 868, 869 machines.  It is different than the one in the 467/767 machines.  I could help you there.  You should have parts list, operations manual and mechanics manual for that machine.  it tells yo how to adjust and replace the trimming knife.

glenn

I found them, thanks a lot!

On 8/18/2020 at 6:16 PM, shoepatcher said:

glenn

You were right, the knife is dull and it can cut only thin thread. 
I talked with Mike and he helped me how to change the back tacking speed. The stuff there is really nice and helpful. Thank you for the advice Glenn!

Great.  Glad I could help.

glenn