Sign in to follow this  
Doxnet

Handwheel hard to turn (speed reducer)

Hi,

I recently install a speed reducer on my juki lu-563. It works really nice to slow down the machine. But the speed reducer make the handwheel really hard to turn manually. Even if I do push the pedal to release the brake on the servo motor.

Is it a normal down side of having a speed reducer?

Maybe the belt tension is too hard?

Thanks 

This is pretty much how it is. You may be able to get some free movement by removing the brake pad from the motor, if it is a servo. Clutch motors have a free play adjuster bolt on the right side, in front of the output shaft.

The fact that the machine is sewing so slow is great. I can pretty much stopping it just like a needle positionner. I manual handwheel less frequently using the speed reducer. I will try to remove the brake from the servo to see if it helps. Thanks for the trick Wizcrafts

Keep in mind that without a brake the motor could continue to run on if it was spinning fast.

Depends on your motor if it has a mechanical brake or not. My Jack Servos have an electronic / magnetic brake which cannot be removed.