I was curious to hear if anyone's having shipping issues with the US Postal Service.  I use Priority Mail exclusively, and with the new Postmaster General and the moronic changes he's made since June, things have gone off the rails.

I have one package shipped out to a customer 100-miles from me that arrived in Pensacola (the destination) overnight.  However, the next day (today) it's in Austin, Texas.  I have another, from a supplier, that's been laying idle in Jacksonville, Florida, since August 7th.  I've also noticed my incoming "snail mail" has dwindled down to near-nothing. 

That's only two examples for me personally, but I'm thinking I'll open UPS and/or FEDEX accounts and bypass the ol' postal service completely.  At least until the political sabre-rattling ends.

Any thoughts?

I haven't had a problem as yet. You probably should change if its affecting your business.

I've noticed for the last four months everything takes longer.  Covid/Postmaster double whammy.

USPS mail has a BIG BANNER across he top of their web site that says

{PARAPHRASED}

COVID-19 is disrupting our staffing and mail may not be delivered in a timely manor

NOW. When you mail with in your STATE.  The mail leaves your post office and goes to a HUB distribution center, From there it goes to the post office  where it is to be delivered

When you mail OUT  of state  the mail goes to the hub in your state,  then is sent to another HUB in the other state. from that Hub it goe to the local Post office

I just mailed 3 priority packages

1 to Wyoming  and 2 in state. all 3 are priority

the 2 instate arrived the next day

the out of state will take 2 more days

Edited by Northmount
corrected false politically biased information

37 minutes ago, Northmount said:

@Frodo Let's keep false politically biased information out of your posts.  This is s leatherworker site, not a political FB page.

Tom

bow.jpeg.d177ff335f76aaf0c24054ff2736d317.jpeg

We average about 1000 packages out a month. 99% we use 1st class package. We are seeing minor delays everywhere. Basically most items would arrive in 2 business days anywhere in the US before this mess hit. Now it is 4-5 business days with the exceptions of New York and Chicago which have been absolute nightmares. Pretty much every package that has gone into the Bronx distribution center  since May has been MIA. Everything that has gone into the Lake Zurich , ILL facility has taken a 3-4 week vacation.

Like Nstar, we have also stopped shipping international for the time being as we have about 200 items out there MIA for about a month or so...Seems like it got really bad the beginning of July. Our local Post Master is of the opinion that 1st class package is actually a little better than priority right now as there are more trucks moving than planes. Whether there is any truth to that I don't know.

1 hour ago, nstarleather said:

We stopped shipping overseas a couple month ago after several packages took 2-3 months to arrive...  I've still got one from June 24th to Canada not delivered yet.  Domestic isn't as bad but there are delays.

What I found out recently is that a lot of airplanes are still grounded, airlines have gone out of business and a lot of airports are still closed and others are working at reduced capacity. What this means is that space for international airmail is very limited. Some countries are down to 0 capacity whilst most are running at about 25%. Priority is being given to items declared essential, non essential items are being sent onwards by sea freight. 

Bruce,

Here is what Im seeing right now. Since midJuly things changed dramatically for me. Before that domestics maybe a 1-3 days more across the board for all sizes.  Small flat rates seem to be 1-3 days longer. Mediums take another 3-5 days. Large flat rates have taken much longer and I'm thinking with the times between scans and the sorting centers they go through  - they are on trucks not planes. My priority packages coming in go through West Sac. First class goes through Richmond, CA. Last few large flat rates  tracked through Richmond and were five day from the previous scan - about enough time to truck them cross country. 

My internationals are hit and miss the last month, but mostly hits. Canada was about a 10 days on the last one. Australia was 5 days. In March and April nothing was moving. Stuff had stuck in that logjam took up to two months but all got there. I've Germany and England I'm keeping an eye on this week.  

I have also seen a slow down.  I realize the Covid deal is the problem.  But what I do not understand is how items are being routed.  One first class item that was to go only about 70 miles from here in Colorado Springs took 8 days by way of Billings MT - an extra 1,200 miles.  Another going 150 miles took 5 days and went from Colo Spgs to Denver back to Colo Spgs then to it's destination - an extra 200 miles.  Last month shipped an item to Montana and one  to Utah.  Both went from Colo Spgs to Denver then to Iowa and back to  Denver  then on to their destinations - an extra 1,300+ miles.  I track all items.  Yesterday, got a notice that an item was being returned for Insufficient Address  -  going to a PO Box in a town of around 1000 people.  Called the customer and the address is correct.  Go figure!  I think the system has been broken for some time and Covid is the trigger.  While the items do get delivered, the extra handling and transportation costs is costly and compounds to the USPS's overall problems.         

Edited by BOB BRENNER

Deutsche Post on my side of the pond no longer ships small packages to the USA - I can use DHL but have to ad "Premium Service" to all packages. So at the moment I ship with UPS. Just recently I shipped a package to a LW member and it arrived within 2 days - remember I live in Germany. Have to admit that I shipped UPS Express but still - 2 days over the pond door to door. Advantage of UPS is that they have their own airplane fleet. I think DHL / Deutsche Post outsources a lot though DHL owns airplanes as well but I guess they are blocked for "Premium customers".

https://www.deutschepost.de/en/c/coronavirus.html#usa

EDIT:

BTW - have you guys ever tried a shipping comparison  like:   https://shipgooder.com

Edited by Constabulary

Over the last couple of months, the majority of my customers have been from America (at its peak, hitting  20 orders for rigs in 4 days, so I know of what I speak), and the delivery rates have varied from 5 to 20 days.   Again, keep in mind that this is from Scotland to most US States, so my parcels are moving through a lot of hands to get to their destination.

With the longest delays, I can see via tracking, that parcels can sit at Heathrow Airport in England for up to 7 days before any further tracking movement.    Some can then sit for another 7 days at the main sorting hubs, before going out to local sorting offices.    I have to say that this is usually the worst case scenario,  and changes from week to week, but is still frustrating for everyone.   Throw in a US Customs check, and your beard grows grey waiting for delivery.B)

Having spoken to a couple of neighbours who work with Royal Mail, I very much appreciate that everyone is working hard to keep on top of backlogs, caused by stuff outside of their control.      Doesn’t stop some customers from doing the equivalent of “are we there yet.....are we there yet......are we there yet...?”:innocent:

I have had some problems also but my theory is that if you mix a government job and then install the union on top of that we’ll guess what!

Here in Australia, while some items have taken a bit longer to arrive  by 'Australia Post' , I do try to take into account the time it takes for materials to arrive when I order.  I  also make that clear when customers place orders and I don't always have the materials or hardware . 

However, recently , I  needed  reliable heating for my workshop,  I placed the order,   and my heater came by courier,   not ' Oz Post' , it was dropped off at the front gate ( instead of me driving into town to check my mail , no mail box this far out)  , and so much quicker than I expected, around 9 days instead of  the usual 14-21 days   :)  , but it came by air, same as Oz post....go figure? 

HS

Anyone remember The little " Please allow 4 to 6 weeks"  at the bottom of the mail in  order forms we used to use before the net. We are a spoiled lot now days lol. 

We've always had problems with USPS packages arriving here in Philly.  I'd estimate that I only get 90 to 95% of what is shipped, and far far less on time.   And of course, they NEVER find missing packages.   I expect that will get much worse.

- Bill

I haven't been sending anything out but I've been receiving a lot of things in Canada over the last three months. Everything from overseas came via courier and came quickly. Some things ordered in late June came USPS and it was slow but not terrible. One package from the US was sent to Canada with a courier who then sent it on via Canada Post. What the...? But it worked.

At the moment I've been waiting longer than six weeks (yeah, I remember that disclaimer, Chuck LOL) for a package that was sent USPS. When I ordered I asked the vendor if there was any other option than USPS but they were adamant that that's how they shipped and that it would be here in less than two weeks. When it became apparent that my order wasn't going to be here in two weeks I found exactly the same things in the Orient, ordered from them and it actually cost less money. Lower price on the product, lower price on the shipping and it was here in eleven days.

I have a bunch of stuff going out on Monday and it'll be going courier. I've given up on Canada Post and USPS.

Regards,

Arturo