Sign in to follow this  
Alaisiagae

Small flawed valet tray

I had some scrap 6/7oz from a larger project and decided to make a small valet tray from it for my dad. I tried making some gouges on the inside so it'd fold up nicer, but that didn't work (maybe the gouge lines were too high). I also only used Tandy's Gel Antqiue (medium brown), with Neat-Lac as a finish. This was my first time using the gel on a project, and, wow, that stuff sure is messy - but I love how it highlights the tooling. There are other flaws with the piece - I don't think I cut the notches from the corners exactly equal (despite my best efforts), and, the letters are a bit crooked and the spacing not perfect, and that gear on the bottom isn't perfectly centered. My dad is an electrical engineer and likes trains.

20200821_134358_edited.jpeg

20200821_134335_edited.jpeg

20200821_134313_edited.jpeg

20200821_134406_edited.jpeg

Edited by Alaisiagae

That passes scrutiny. Its just grand so it is  :)

remember; we are own worst critics.  :crazy:

When I have to do a fold in leather I first gouge a line then I use a ball-head modelling tool back and forth over the groove in the dampened leather. This usually helps, but not always, :unsure:

If you look at this from your Dad's perspective for a minute.... His daughter brought him a personalized, hand-made gift that looks good and functions well. I'll bet he is pretty happy about it, and any imperfections are eigher ignored or appreciated. I have never made anything that was perfect, and I've decided I never will (and it's OK). Overall, I'll bet he loves it. Cheers.

I use a wood carving V tool practice on a scrap for depth works grate.  All that said you did a nice job on that bet dad loves it ..

Thank you all for the kind words, I'm definitely my own worst critic.

Nice work. I see nothing to change.

Ι like small imperfections that distinguish a hand made item from a machine made one, if there aren't any I'd even go as far as adding one and I'm not even joking.   As long as it doesn't distract from the overall quality of the thing, and in this case I don't think it does.  Just a lovely gift.  Honestly the only thing that caught my eye when I looked at the photos and before I read your text was the two "E" in Engineer were not perfectly in line.

I hope my next project is "flawed". Dad will love it!