Aven

Shop Building

We are in the midst of moving.  We'll be down-sizing a bit, so nothing can go in the house long term. I'm mulling over my options for building a shop. One of my options is to use shipping containers, possible two 40 footers placed about 20 feet apart. I know that creates a lot of space, almost more than the house LOL!  But it wouldn't just be for my leather work, and yeah I could go with 20 footers, but the 40's are only about $125 more, so for $250 I double the container space. The distance between them is just a guess at the moment. I'm waiting for the survey to arrive so I can figure out how much space I have between the fence and the utility

Does anyone have any experience using shipping containers for sheds? Should I pour a pad for the area under the containers and well as for the space in between?

I rent storage space which is made up of shipping containers. They stand on a concrete yard. My unit has a plywood floor but nothing lining the wall or roof. At another storage rental place their containers were stood on natural ground, they had plywood floors as well. My unit is as dry as you'd want it. I have no problems storing leather in it, but I'd not do so in the other place, dampness was coming up though the floor and there was a lot of condensation on the walls and roof. Mould was growing on a couple of cardboard boxes in the one I inspected.

If it was me I'd pour a concrete base for the whole area and stand the containers on bricks or blocks to let ventilation underneath them

Thanks Fred.  Dampness won't be much of a problem for me, well not like it is for you.  But your point is taken.  It'll cost a bit more, but in the long run it will be worth it.  

Actually, my unit has a wood roof suspended over the top. Even in our mild summer that tin box gets pretty hot inside. So if not for dampness, ventilation space at least for air to help the cooling 

I am planning on putting a roof over the two and walling in the ends.  Cooling here will be the biggest issue. 

It will be several months before I can do anything.  We're still working our way through the paperwork to sell/buy.  I'm just going over build options.  Shipping containers, earthbags, rammed earth, rammed tires, pole barn, conventional build.  The usual suspects.