I finished this up about two years ago.  It was my first effort to do a large piece like this.   I love the way it has broken in and started to patina.  

1DF9A705-3DDB-4B38-9C01-62C2D2F7DB61.jpeg

8F75C11A-ADAF-4058-A017-A6BADCD3C218.jpeg

749609EB-9103-4FED-8596-41FCB7390E06.jpeg

Very nice!  I think we'd all like to hear more about it, type and thickness of leather, etc.  Looks hand-stitched, is it?  We'd also like to see the interior.  At least I would!

Good job!

Thanks Tugadude!  5-6 oz craftsman oak leather from Tandy. The entire side was hand dyed with Fiebings Saddle Tan dye then the finished product was top coated with Resolene.  

The whole project was hand stitched. 

Here is a photo of the inside and one during construction. I wanted the entire project to be made out of leather so I did all of the internal pockets and sections out of the 5-6oz and then doubled up the layers on the external panels.

8D4CF1C7-FA7D-498B-9680-C8A8FCB26750.jpeg

1F99C15D-0F56-4E3E-96C4-70E96396A573.jpeg

Edited by YPenguins37

Thanks!  I always like to see how folks detail the interior.  I see you thought out the pockets to fit specific things.  Some just put some pockets in and later find out they're either so big they aren't very user-friendly, or they are too small to hold specific items.  I know because that happened to me once.  :(

The resolene is what is causing the high gloss.  I was wondering about that.

Nicely done.

5 minutes ago, Tugadude said:

Thanks!  I always like to see how folks detail the interior.  I see you thought out the pockets to fit specific things.  Some just put some pockets in and later find out they're either so big they aren't very user-friendly, or they are too small to hold specific items.  I know because that happened to me once.  :(

The resolene is what is causing the high gloss.  I was wondering about that.

Nicely done.

Thanks!  I spent way too much time trying to plan out the pockets and storage areas!

I also put some little slide pocket in behind the bigger pockets on the front for my phone and a notebook. 

06A3F089-5959-455E-8113-6956B9B6E2F1.jpeg

That's a nice touch.  Extra pockets like that come in handy when you don't want to open the buckles.  That would be good for boarding passes, for example or anything you need to access quickly.

Hi

Is that fitted to a laptop?  I'd sort of like to have one like that, but I'm building other things right now.  If you do carry a laptop in there, where to you put the cords etc?  The Resolene seems to be holding up well, I've just started back up after making a few things back in the 80's and 90's.

Thanks

Mike

Edited by 1961Mike

19 hours ago, 1961Mike said:

Hi

Is that fitted to a laptop?  I'd sort of like to have one like that, but I'm building other things right now.  If you do carry a laptop in there, where to you put the cords etc?  The Resolene seems to be holding up well, I've just started back up after making a few things back in the 80's and 90's.

Thanks

Mike

I laid out the inside picket for an older Lenovo laptop.  I can now fit two smaller surface books in that pocket!  I can also slide a surface book in the magazine pocket on the back for quicker access. 

Infront of the laptop sleeve there is actually a good amount of space.  I can fit my charger, adapters and connectors at the bottom of the front along with my small umbrella.  

I leave my cell charger and cables in one of the front buckle pockets on the front of the bag for quick access. 

DB99F9F2-A81E-4D65-A0A4-57806B766F79.jpeg

Edited by YPenguins37