Loquai

Should I buy a sewing machine

I'm fairly new to leatherwork and enjoy it immensely. Being retired it gives me something to look forward to everyday. But lately my hands have started to give me significant problems and so I've been considering getting a sewing machine. The belts I make are hand=stitched mostly using 8-10 oz Hermann Oak leather. I am also making wallets, purses and would like to get into clothing items (hats, vests, etc.). This is not a business, just a hobby and I'm really not in a position to spend a lot of money so I've been looking at the used market and since I'm not a sewing machine expert I get pretty confused. This I know, I would like a nice looking stitch, be able to sew 3/8" to 1/2" thick veg tanned leather, and use pretty thick thread. Speed is not important.

Any idea's out there?

Thanks

I started doing leather out of necessity (needed a custom holster) but soon found that I enjoyed it also. I bought my first machine a little over a year ago my hands just couldn't take it any more, I found a used PFAFF 145 H4 for sale locally.
I have since purchased a Cowboy 4500 and could not be happier, I make and sale more then enough leather goods each month to pay for it and I have become the local go to guy for repairs also.

So Yes, I say Buy one!

I would read through this post, this guy knows sewing machines and saved me a lot of money and headache's, I am glad to have found it before purchasing any sewing machine.

Johnny

Edited by Johnny

Thank you both for your help. I did read the entire Wizcraft post and it answered a lot of my questions. Man is that guy knowledgeable.I think I’ll focus on finding a used Consew or possibly consider the Cowboy Outlaw.  I’m to old and don’t have the motivation to turn this into a business (probably not good enough either) 

@Loquai as someone who had a Tippmann Boss, pretty much like the Outlaw, I don't recommend it.  It did a good job sewing but I spent a ton of time fiddling with tensions and was constantly afraid to even change out the thread color for fear of something going out of tune. The second part of that is you only have one hand to hold what you are sewing with the Outlaw, while you crank the handle with the other hand.  it was amazing to me how much easier it is to sew certain things since I can use both hands to guide them.

Todd 

This is only my opinion after many years of experience working in the sewing trades.

A singer 111w155 would be the cheap used choice, with a long stitch and 1/2"  clearance 

I bought one for $10 at a auction and put in a belt and it worked. But remember if it's used

there is a reason. My choice for new would be the Consew 206rb or it's relatives.  You

get a high lift, long stitch, horizontal hook , large bobbin, safety clutch, reverse and good parts

availability and no belts to be replaced. However I have seen new machines with tight clearances

which may require clearance around hook . My sister in law and I bought new ones in 1976 and she didn't

oil it for 20 years, yes it was noisy but still sewed good.  I still have 2  Consew 206rb the Seiko version however

my personal choice is a Nakajima 280L more lift and will sew 207 thread all day.

Hi Loquai, it's always a difficult decision to make when it comes to buying a machine, mainly because when you're coming from handstitching there is no one machine to replace it. A manual machine, like the Outlaw, will be the closest because it can handle reasonably heavy thread on somewhat lighter materials. There are doubtless many who have used them successfully but also many who have had issues due to their inherent limitations. Having only one hand free is likely to be the major issue. As has been suggested a good used Consew (or equivalent) fitted with a servo could be a good way to get started without breaking the bank. If it works out you'll likely start looking at a second machine, something that will handle heavier leather/thread. Just warning you, it can be a slippery slope this sewing machine thing.:rolleyes2:

welcome,

Something you may want to consider....

> looking for some leathercraft/sewing shops in your area.    If you can move about and have to spend some time driving, consider doing so.  Such as traveling to an adjacent state to find a shop.

> look for a leather shop with sewing machines.  manual and power as listed above. You can also ask them what they may have that will work for you - sight unseens and tested and a price or price range.  But it may give you an idea if you want to make a trip or not based off the price. Since that will be the #1 reason.

> consider taking some leather "scraps"/samples and make a trip of it.  You can ask the shops if they are open and if you can bring some sample leather to try on their machines.  If you want, you can give them the thickness & thread size and see what they may have on the floor/instock upon your arrival.  

> i would prepare the leather "scraps" as if you were making a sellable belt and maybe even with the hardware. If you sew after or before hardware attached?  but consider your assembly process and where the sewing comes in.  you may find that some part(s) may interfere with the machine.

> if you have any saddlers/tack/harness repair people in your area, reach out to them and see if they may have a machine that may work for you.  Its not like you will buy their machine, but to get an idea if it will work with what you have and then look for a similar machine.  Again, consider if you have do a "day" trip to do this too.

last comment...

> if you hands are giving you issues, have you asked a doc about this or just living with it?  but if you havent talked to a doc about this, its up to you.  But to me, if your hands are giving you issues, not much you can do.   Do the sewing if/when your hands are ok if at all, live with the issues and do the work or get a machine.  

good luck

Edited by $$hobby

Thank you, you have given ideas and great input. I don’t know why I haven’t visited area leathercraft shops but I just did a google search and found some nearby that I’m going to checkout and follow your advice. I live in Red Wing, MN and we have a boot manufacturer and tannery here and I thought they would be good resources but their pretty big and I kind of struck out. Didn’t think of locating the leathercraft shops and visiting them. How bad is that? Anyway thank you all for taking the time to offer your ideas and suggestions. Genuinely appreciate this resource. 

Welcome back,

I forgot to add.  Im not sure how fast you want to get  a machine, but also look for any Leathercraft trade shows.  If you subscribe to the Leather crafters journal, they  post when the next show is and location.  Im not sure what  is going to happen with COVID issues, but its something to keep in mind.  There will be vendors there selling their wares and i bet you could test drive some of their machines.  They may have some used machines there or at their shop too.

Also, look for any sewing machine shops too.  Chances are they wont have any that are heavy duty enough, but it doesnt hurt to ask.

Another thing, there are leather craft schools too.  And again, not sure about how COVID has affected them.   I think there was 1 in the midwest someplace. 

You can check with Craigslist.  But unless the owner has used it, you may end up buying a headache.  

last comment.  At the back of the journal are Leather Guilds info.  So your Guild for MN is:   

Headwaters Leather Guild

leefamav@gmail.com

Mn. Minnesota.

What’s you are saying is get our there, talk with people, get involved. Amazing what you might learn, what opportunities might exist etc. Thanks, I think I needed that prompting. 

Hi Loquai, you could do a lot worse than contacting one of the US’s most accommodating sewing machine guys. Steve at Cobra is both helpful and a genuinely nice guy. I’m based in the UK but he was even prepared to advise me on needles and sent exactly what I needed. 
I wish I was US based so I could take full advantage of Steve’s knowledge. Give him a call to discuss what kind of machine you need. He is always happy to chat and may have exactly what you want.

Good luck fella!

UK Ray

Hello Ray - I checked out your website. Magnificent creations. I will try to contact Steve. Thanks