Danne

You are looking for the strongest glue, but might need a weaker.

Of course if you glue lining to for example a card holder/wallet you want a really strong bond. But there are situations where you don't need that strong bond and it can cause problems.

Let me take an example. You are making a card holder (That common fold-type that Hermès call mc2 Euclide.)

You stitch it with linen thread, and a couple of years later the customer want it restitched, no matter what warranty you have you will of course have to help your customer even if he/she have to pay for it. Or most of you would decide to help your customer. 

You will struggle a lot with removing the pocket sections if it's glued with a strong solvent based glue. Will it be possible, yes but a lot of work compared to a slightly weaker glue. 

walletglue copy.jpg

Edited by Danne

Did you learn this the hard way? :)

2 minutes ago, rodneywt1180b said:

Did you learn this the hard way? :)

No, I don't sell anything. But I do plan and analyze things. Everything from construction, material, design. And I thought about this when thinking about linen thread and synthetic thread. How complicated it would be when you sell a cites-product outside of EU, and stitch it with linen thread, and it needs to be sent back for restitching. 

I'm curious to know how double-sided tape would fare in a situation like this. 
It's great to stick things together when sewing, but does the join last like a solvent glue join does?

2 hours ago, DJole said:

I'm curious to know how double-sided tape would fare in a situation like this. 
It's great to stick things together when sewing, but does the join last like a solvent glue join does?

I have never used double-sided tape, but I doubt it's that strong, I mean reinforcement tapes (even the best ones aren't that strong) And also I try to make my products slim, and a double sided tape is probably at least 0.15-0.2mm thick which make a difference for the things I make. But I think double-sided tape can be an awesome solution in many cases, like for attaching zippers. 

The double sided basting tape that you can get from Tandy and Springfield is incredibly thin, probably thinner than contact cement. It is not strong in the long term, so it doesn't add strength to products the way good glue does.

If you're restitching an item, why would you need to separate the pieces? You could pull what's left of the old stitching and restitch without disassembling the item, which would save a lot of time, and save you from the nightmare of stitch holes no longer matching up once you (for some reason) disassembled and reassembled.

Strong glue can hold the piece together even after the stitching wears away, which will mean less returns.

I have yet to be convinced that weaker glue will be a superior option.

5 hours ago, MedusaOblongata said:

The double sided basting tape that you can get from Tandy and Springfield is incredibly thin, probably thinner than contact cement. It is not strong in the long term, so it doesn't add strength to products the way good glue does.

If you're restitching an item, why would you need to separate the pieces? You could pull what's left of the old stitching and restitch without disassembling the item, which would save a lot of time, and save you from the nightmare of stitch holes no longer matching up once you (for some reason) disassembled and reassembled.

Strong glue can hold the piece together even after the stitching wears away, which will mean less returns.

I have yet to be convinced that weaker glue will be a superior option.

See my first post, you can't stitch that part without removing the pockets. or it might be possible with curved needles, but at least I would not be able to restitch it so it looks good without removing pockets.

Edited by Danne

I think the OP is dreaming of problems that will probably never arise.

In over 20 years of leather work I've only ever had to re-sew a few items, viz

1. Medieval shoes repairs, as the original maker left the sole to vamp thread on the outside surface of the sole where it wore away

2. one small waist pouch, mine, because when I originally made it it had no lining, later I decided to put a lining in it. The seams had been glued with contact adhesive and sewn but this was cut through carefully using a scalpel.

Other than those I've never had to re-sew anything at all.

I've made a good many items for medieval history re-enactors and presenters. They are hard on their leather items, not looking after them, moreso than the ordinary person, and yet I've never had to re-sew anything but those shoes

Proper use of thread and sewing practice will ensure a good sewn seam. I very much doubt that a thread inside a card wallet will ever wear to the point of replacement. I am still using a cheap leather wallet I bought in 1986. Only in a couple of spots has the thread come out or broken. The wallet is still in use and serviceable. That is the only reason why I've not yet set to and made myself a new one.