Hello fellow Leather Crafters!

I need some help finding a border tool with the exact design. If not exact then extremely similar... See attached photo. I have been commissioned to reproduce three leather panels to an old chair bought in Costa Rica. As you can see from the photos the leather has certainly seen its days. I could maybe get a way with a diamond pattern. Before I bring up options to my customer, I thought I'd share with you all and see if there may be some leads in hunting down that design. (I could carve the original design myself but that'll take way too long and not be cost effective to my customer.) 

Thank you for your help!

W/ gratitude,

Brett C. 

IMG-6511.PNG

1 hour ago, mrbeebs23 said:

I need some help finding a border tool with the exact design. If not exact then extremely similar... See attached photo. I have been commissioned to reproduce three leather panels to an old chair bought in Costa Rica. As you can see from the photos the leather has certainly seen its days. I could maybe get a way with a diamond pattern. Before I bring up options to my customer, I thought I'd share with you all and see if there may be some leads in hunting down that design. (I could carve the original design myself but that'll take way too long and not be cost effective to my customer.) 

Thank you for your help!

W/ gratitude,

Brett C. 

IMG-6511.PNG

I've never seen one  for sale but you can make that design with a file pretty easy IMO . I count six file cuts on a rectangular blank. Use a triangular needle file on some soft steel like a bolt head or some such Very cool  and I'm  gonna make one lol. It could have even been made with/ on a wheel stamp

Thanks for the response Chuck! How much to make me one? It may be easy for you but I feel like tool making is out of my wheelhouse. Good luck, and let me know!

All the best, 

Edited by mrbeebs23

15 minutes ago, mrbeebs23 said:

Thanks for the response Chuck! How much to make me one? It may be easy for you but I feel like tool making is out of my wheelhouse. Good luck, and let me know!

All the best, 

let me see what i can do then i'll send you a message tomorrow. Can you measure it for me?

Edited by chuck123wapati

The existing panels are with my customer in Chicago. I'll ask her to measure it for me. The height looks obvious but where should I have her measure the width 

7 minutes ago, mrbeebs23 said:

The existing panels are with my customer in Chicago. I'll ask her to measure it for me. The height looks obvious but where should I have her measure the width 

across the points of the x, the tip of each point is the corner of the rectangle of the stamp. i would bet that the original was a hand made stamp if the chair has any age to it. 

17 hours ago, mrbeebs23 said:

Thank you for your help!

W/ gratitude,

Brett C. 

IMG-6511.PNG

This is fairly specific, so perhaps rather than going for a ready-made tool, you could design one in a 3-D program and have it printed for you? Thingiverse and Shapeways come to mind, using ABS plastic (the sort of thing Lego's made of). The original was probably wet-pressed into a hand-carved mold.

2 hours ago, Rahere said:

This is fairly specific, so perhaps rather than going for a ready-made tool, you could design one in a 3-D program and have it printed for you? Thingiverse and Shapeways come to mind, using ABS plastic (the sort of thing Lego's made of). The original was probably wet-pressed into a hand-carved mold.

lol literally far less than 20 minutes to this point where I will fine tune it. No computer no 3d printer, no cad program,  no waste of time building a piece of plastic that wont last a week. I will go out on a limb here and say all of the older stamps were made just like i made this,  with hands and a hand tool. You can see in the op picture where each was stamped as there are places where the stamps didn't line up such as the area right in the middle of the picture.. PS excuse my stamping i didn't allow enough time for thorough casing so the ridges didn't stamp in well. 

stamp1.JPG

stamp2.JPG

Edited by chuck123wapati

A bit more work! 

stamp3.JPG

almost done

stamp4.JPG

Great work! I see you got both sides pretty much straight and lined up (from the looks of your last photo.) Let me know how much you'd sell one of these for. I'll send a pic to my customer and see if she wants to go through with it. If not, I'm still interested in buying this off of you. I love the pattern! 

@chuck123wapati ~ brilliant work, most excellent

1 hour ago, fredk said:

@chuck123wapati ~ brilliant work, most excellent

Thank you I appreciate that.

On 8/26/2020 at 1:36 PM, mrbeebs23 said:

Thank you for your help!

W/ gratitude,

Brett C. 

IMG-6511.PNG

Here is 1/4" by 1/3" 

stamp5.JPG

Nice job @chuck123wapati that looks great.  Perfect engineering to get an unavailable tool.

Todd

On 8/28/2020 at 1:38 PM, Aven said:

Nicely done!  Planning on making a few o them?

LOL well I wasn't exactly planning on making these but i have always loved a good self induced challenge.

On 8/28/2020 at 2:08 PM, Hildebrand said:

Nice job @chuck123wapati that looks great.  Perfect engineering to get an unavailable tool.

Todd

Thank you. 

On 8/26/2020 at 1:36 PM, mrbeebs23 said:

Thank you for your help!

W/ gratitude,

Brett C. 

IMG-6511.PNG

Here is the set i made , both are stainless steel. The 1 oz solid silver border tool not included lol.

stamp6.JPG

On 9/2/2020 at 9:38 AM, Aven said:

Those turned out a treat.  Well done!  I love the border tool you used between the stamps.

How much for a pair?

yes i can make another set, i will post them here when i get them done. But warning it may be a week or two.

On 9/2/2020 at 10:08 AM, Retswerb said:

You finished those up nicely, @chuck123wapati! Nice work.

Thank you!