aru

sewing machine questions

Hello, i'm just getting into leather working and i'm at that point where hand stitching just isn't doing it. 

my needs are mostly just light leather, things like shoes, bags, small projects. I wont be doing any thick belts or saddles or dinorsaur leather

My questions are:

how much should I look to spend for a entry level used machine?

can I simply buy a drop feed industrial machine and throw on a roller foot?

best places to find used machines?

thanks!

I cant seem to edit the original post, i've read some of wizcrafts (awesome!) sewing machine thread, so I decided i need to add some info.

Im not looking for a table or motor, I intend on making the head hand crank for now.

i've got a budget of 500$, is this reasonable? 

Ive found a PFAFF 5487-814 Is this system considered a walking foot? It looks completely different from every other walking foot i've seen.

Edited by aru

Pfaff 5487-814 looks like a chainstitch machine intended for cloth. 99% of the time with leather you will want a lockstitch machine.

Not sure where in the world you're located but you should be able to get an adequate machine for your needs and budget,  though it will involve a lot of legwork and homework to ensure you get something that will meet your needs. There are very few hand crank machine around these days, electric motors became popular over 100 years ago and most lighter machines have a handwheel too small for practical hand cranking.

If you just want to buy something that you know is going to be suitable you'll probably have to up your budget. Again not sure of your location but assuming that's US dollars, you'd need $1-1.5k for an entry level new machine.

Thanks! Im located in the US, I should have added that...

glad I didn't buy that machine, because I considered it a few days ago. oof

Im not afraid to do some diy work to convert one to hand crank. 

picture below is my first rodeo with modifying machines, I was able to get at least 20hours of abuse out of it before i bent something trying to sew like half an inch of leather. I enjoy working with cars and solving problems, so i'm not too worried.

20200219_133829.jpg

I found a singer 211w151, I cant find any reviews or forum posts about it, but the manual shows that its compound feed and its a good deal.

Unless someone knows a reason it wouldnt work im going to buy it tomorrow. Im super excited to get one of these beefy machines. 

I just bought it so I hope so!

thanks for your responses :D