kskinner

Looking for a Glover's Donkey / Clamp - Pictures included

Hi all,

Leatherworker recently moved to Canada here. Make a range of things including hand stitched gloves. I'm trying to hunt down a particular tool that would make my life easier, otherwise I'll have to DIY it. 

This is called a glover's donkey, some of you know the stitching pony or horse. It's a bit like it. The difference is the foot operated metal jaws, and small teeth for stitch placement. It is a uniquely glover's tool, as for most leathers the teeth would leave a dent or mark. They show up every now and then on antique websites, I would love to know if any of you (or your grandmothers) have one in your attic. Would be willing to pay for it and delivery to Canada.

Otherwise, if any of your have had something fabricated at a metal workshop, would you be able to point me in the direction of something who could make such a thing... even the top half. I'm woodworking-savvy but my metal-working skills don't extend past bending bulldog clips.

Thanks

19th-cent-english-glover-maker-s-donkey_11721_main_size3.jpg

19th-cent-english-glover-maker-s-donkey_11721_pic2_size3.jpg

19th-cent-english-glover-maker-s-donkey_11721_pic3_size3.jpg

I can't help you, unfortunately, but I wanted to thank you for posting the photos - it's a fascinating device. Is the idea that you stitch between the little fingers? I'm trying to figure out just how it's different to a normal pony/clamp.

On 8/28/2020 at 8:12 PM, dikman said:

I can't help you, unfortunately, but I wanted to thank you for posting the photos - it's a fascinating device. Is the idea that you stitch between the little fingers? I'm trying to figure out just how it's different to a normal pony/clamp.

Exactly. The components would be held in place using the jaws, and you would weave the needle in and out of the fingers. The thread would slide up over the fingers and would make a nice, tight even running stitch.

To help position the piece, would would start by threading the needle through the components at a given point. Then you would slide the pieces in between the jaws until the needle (which is resting half way through the pieces of the leather so there is half of the needle poking out either side) rests in a slot between two fingers. Then the glover would position the seam nice and flat and parallel along the jaw. Hard to explain. Best to watch this video until you get to the part where the clamps are in use...

https://youtu.be/0xvJbI9qJJI?t=244

Tried a search too could only come with the same pics you have its a lovely piece of kit hope you can source one.

JCUK

Interesting.  Are the jaws spring loaded in the normally closed position, and depressing the foot pedal opens the jaws? 

God bless

In the first photo there is a bent spring, below the arm that is used to open the jaws, that presses against the jaw to keep it closed. So yes.

you could make a wooden one similar to a stitching pony then add the brass jaws and form the teeth  easily with a hand file. Its very cool indeed and the spring would make it quicker to use but I'll bet it replaced a wooden one sometime during the industrial age.