Sign in to follow this  
HorseHairKeepsakes

Beginner needing help with leather inlay bracelets!

Hello all! Happy to have found this place! I have been watching a lot of videos and have ordered the basic tools that I need but am still not sure how to get good results cutting out a narrow strip for an inlay in a bracelet. Bit of  backstory  I should add, I have been making horse hair jewelry, mostly bracelets for almost 10 years and am expanding my business. I am already making wrap bracelets with horse hair, leather and beads. I have seen some beautiful inlay bracelets done with horse hair. I’m using a lightweight 3/4” leather straps, a sharp blade and I am using a groover to mark the lines before I cut my lines for my inlay. Maybe just more practice? Am I missing something? And advice would be helpful! I’m tired of wasting leather it’s too expensive to keep practicing on. Should add I live in Canada and order from Tandy, can order other supplies if I need to! 

Perhaps a example of what your trying to do may get more answers

Tandy is rather expensive for Leather, worth looking around in Canada for other suppliers, bound to be some in the major cities, Europe is awash with leather but i guess delivery to canada would make it uneconomical 

Good Luck

7 hours ago, HorseHairKeepsakes said:

Hello all! Happy to have found this place! I have been watching a lot of videos and have ordered the basic tools that I need but am still not sure how to get good results cutting out a narrow strip for an inlay in a bracelet. Bit of  backstory  I should add, I have been making horse hair jewelry, mostly bracelets for almost 10 years and am expanding my business. I am already making wrap bracelets with horse hair, leather and beads. I have seen some beautiful inlay bracelets done with horse hair. I’m using a lightweight 3/4” leather straps, a sharp blade and I am using a groover to mark the lines before I cut my lines for my inlay. Maybe just more practice? Am I missing something? And advice would be helpful! I’m tired of wasting leather it’s too expensive to keep practicing on. Should add I live in Canada and order from Tandy, can order other supplies if I need to! 

picture of what you are doing please

I would use a scratch awl instead of a groover to mark out the cut lines.  I think the groover gives too wide a line and lets you wobble back and forth a bit within the groove.  Then cut with a very sharp knife.  Don't attempt to cut all the way through in one pass.  The more you try to cut through in one pass, the harder it is to keep a straight line.  Use a stainless steel ruler with some cork on the back as a guide.  I see from your IP address you are in Okotoks.  Not too far south of me!

Tom

Welcome,

i googled for some horsehair inlayed bracelets and came up with the attached photos....Note they are not mine, just from google...

https://i.etsystatic.com/6024747/r/il/2da5fc/2033517437/il_1140xN.2033517437_balg.jpg

https://www.foreverentwined.net/leather-inlay-bracelets

For what its worth, i did more or less the same with some english brow bands.  But used some blingz.   The shop owner did the  blingz and i inset them into the broadbands i made.

it was tedious work since i didnt have all the real estate (extra leather) to sew and had to handsew along a 1/8" to 3/16" wide leather.

as mentioned by above, take your time to make the cuts and i would also use a scratch awl.  If you practice on some scrap leather, you can make a fine mark so you wouldnt notice it if you were not looking.

Something to consider is to try not to reinvent the wheel for everytime you make something.

So, consider making a "template".  If you are making the same cutout everytime.  Or you can make multiple size templates too.  

If you have any craft stores/home improvement look for some flexible plastic.  Clear would be good, but if you  can find something flexible and easy to cut to make your temple, it would help.  Or look at some thicker craft paper/press board or something like poster board.

Regarding your sharp blades, get something decent to cut on so you dont dull it too soon.  If they are disposable type xacto blades, consider getting a pack or multiple packs and change often.  A dull blade is asking for trouble.  You can buy them in bulk too, but it will depend on how much you think you will need it.

If the leather you are using is too thin - whatever that is -, it may get squirrelly if you try to mark the cut lines.  You can also look at a divider like this.  This is from amazon.  I dont work there or profit, just use the links since it fast/easy.

https://rb.gy/dbzny4

Edited by $$hobby