Sign in to follow this  
Chris B

Introduction

Hello all,

I havent been here in a while. As a matter of fact I havent done leather work in a while. But the main reason is. I have a hard time learning from books. I do better when I have some one show me. So I havent touched a swivel knife in about a month and a half and have thrown away pretty much every piece I have done...I know. I get angry about ready to give up but I dont want too. So I was wondering if there are any groups or anything out there that meet, I mean in person not just through the computer. I didnt know what other forum to put this on. I am located in Clarington Ohio if that helps. In on the eastern part of ohio. right on the Ohio river.

Thanks,

Chris

P.S. Thanks to listen to me rant.....

How far away from Pittsburgh are you? The Pitt Pounders and the Buckeye Leathercraft Guild (Columbus) are both excellent sources of information and fellowship. We are trying to get some volunteers to do online video demos- would that help you? Don't get discouraged. Most of us started out in the same boat.

Johanna

You might also give the Tandy in Columbus a call and see if they can help you get in touch with someone in your area. 800-472-3306

Thanks all. I am closer to Columbus then to Pittsburgh. I am going to have to check out the Buckeye guild. Online video demos would work great. I do have the complete Al Stohlman home study course I am trying to learn out of. But I just cant seem to learn out of books. Never have been able. Thanks all, and sorry for my anger...It was just really discouraging...

Thanks Again,

Chris

Hi Welder,

If you want to learn to carve and pound, take a Jim Linell class the next time he cycles around to your local Tandy. Jim is high up the chain in Tandy Store Operations but is also a great teacher and is on the road a lot. If you can make the IFoLG show, he is usually there teaching. If you can wait a year, I think the next IFoLG show is in your area (ask Johanna). Now if you want a video, pick something you want to make, like a knife sheath, or gunbelt, (I would start with the sheath) and get a video explicitly for that. Watch the video a few times and give it a try. You'll have questions and screw-up, we all did, but you have the local Tandy, a guild, and this forum to work you through it. All without cracking a book.

Art

Hello all,

I havent been here in a while. As a matter of fact I havent done leather work in a while. But the main reason is. I have a hard time learning from books. I do better when I have some one show me. So I havent touched a swivel knife in about a month and a half and have thrown away pretty much every piece I have done...I know. I get angry about ready to give up but I dont want too. So I was wondering if there are any groups or anything out there that meet, I mean in person not just through the computer. I didnt know what other forum to put this on. I am located in Clarington Ohio if that helps. In on the eastern part of ohio. right on the Ohio river.

Thanks,

Chris

P.S. Thanks to listen to me rant.....

Chris,

Reading your post reminded me of when I started out in leatherwork. Most of what I produced ended up in the garbage can, and I got really, really frustrated at times. When I got really teed-off, I did what you did -- I took a break, sometimes for several months. I swore off leatherwork at least a couple of times, and even threw out all my tools once! :mad: :ranting:

However, if you stick with it, things will get easier. Two "attitude adjustments" helped me:

(1) If leatherwork is your hobby, do it for fun and to relax. Don't let work or personal problems creep in on that time and cause stress. Check those problems at the door of your workshop.

(2) Your projects don't have to be perfect. I finally came to accept that each thing I produce is going to have what I call "birth marks" -- little blemishes or imperfections here or there. Man, celebrate that stuff -- you're doing the best work God allows you, and each birth mark makes a project unique.

It sounds like you've received some good advice above on making some contacts in your area. I hope it all works out for you, and don't be shy about posting and asking questions along the way!

:cheers: -Alex

Buckeye Leathercrafters of Central Ohio meet in Columbus. I don't know beans about Ohio, but perhaps they are close enough for you to go there at least sometimes. They are a very nice bunch of people, and would love to help you out. They're also hosting the IFoLG show next year. You should plan to go to that and take some workshops. If you're interested, If you're interested, I can put you in touch with them.

Kathy

Thanks guys. I am very interested in going to the Buckeye leather guild. Thanks for the info on the "attitude adjustments". I defiently need to do that..lol. The Jim Linell class, what all does he teach?

Thanks,

Chris