This is my first commissioned leather project! It took me 12 hours (not counting drying time). I created the pattern myself, designed spcificlly for an iPhone 11 with an Otter Box Defender Screenless phone case.

Anyone have any tips for me to consider in the future?

Edited by Leather20

I don't know why my pics aren't showing up!20200830_143842.thumb.jpg.c8b36e2058ac1102ad6ee06632a4269f.jpg20200830_143740.thumb.jpg.88280531421da8d1da85189608694dd3.jpg20200830_143730.thumb.jpg.6f64da06c5cd6e4f0ef5885ce3a91b27.jpg20200830_143724.thumb.jpg.68632147e967990bfdbfa0f811dcf9ce.jpg

Nice work. Two things I would suggest. I would use one bigger belt loop on the back. And confine the stitches to JUST the belt loop. Do not start the stitching in the "base" of the project, but rather start 1/2 stitch length from the edge of the loop.

It looks pretty good, and I like the basketweaving! I noticed your veining on the scroll stems looks a little odd to me, have you watched this video? It has some nice tips for angling the tool, see at time 7:04.

Edited by Alaisiagae

On 8/30/2020 at 5:21 PM, tsunkasapa said:

And confine the stitches to JUST the belt loop. Do not start the stitching in the "base" of the project, but rather start 1/2 stitch length from the edge of the loop.

I'm a little confused about what you mean with the stitching, tsunk. I stitched around the entire project because I've got a lining in it and it looked better in my opinion. I stitched over the edges of my belt loops because otherwise you have a higher load on the thread and it's liable to snap (happened to me).

"I stitched over the edges of my belt loops because otherwise you have a higher load on the thread and it's liable to snap (happened to me)."

What were you carrying that put THAT much load on the thread? I've done harness repairs for sled dogs and never had the thread fail. I would look at the thread you are using if that is the case.

25 minutes ago, tsunkasapa said:

"I stitched over the edges of my belt loops because otherwise you have a higher load on the thread and it's liable to snap (happened to me)."

What were you carrying that put THAT much load on the thread? I've done harness repairs for sled dogs and never had the thread fail. I would look at the thread you are using if that is the case.

Learn me sum'n :red_bandana:

i stitch over my belt loops to keep the edge of the leather from catching on stuff and curling up

how do you do yours?  

I start 1/2 the distance of a stitch (aprox. 1/16-)from the edge. All stitching is confined to the belt loop itself. Never had a curl up, never had a thread fail. YMMV

Edited by tsunkasapa

For the record, the old saddler that taught me said that starting your stitching from your "background" was a rookie mistake. 

I always thought that looked like a likely place for something to catch the thread and potentially cut it allowing the stitches to unravel.  Seemed cleaner and safer for the thread to all be on the belt loop.

Todd

Hello,

Some main critics :
Your flap is too short, It could be better if it's was longer to have your carving in a flat surface (not on the radius of the fold). Moreover with the stiffness of leather, it will be easier to keep it closed.
Edges lack of finshing with burnisher and you must tame your edger (too much irregular) and insist more on the interior faces.

Concerning the carving my opinion is :
- It's missing a stop line between the and of carving and your sew. Presently, it's your sewing line which stop your carving.
- It looks like you don't used beveler? It lack of volum, mostly inside the flower.

if you improve these few items at first, the result will already be different

Mich'

19 hours ago, tsunkasapa said:

I start 1/2 the distance of a stitch (aprox. 1/16-)from the edge. All stitching is confined to the belt loop itself. Never had a curl up, never had a thread fail. YMMV

I've often wondered which way is more correct. I've used both methods and can't decide which I like better or which is more durable. It seems that there are varying opinions. personally I prefer the "look" of your method (not stitching the base) but I thought extending one stitch beyond the end of the loop might be more secure. Is either method more "correct" than the other? Might be an interesting topic for discussion.

On 9/4/2020 at 11:11 AM, tsunkasapa said:

Okay, I understand what you're saying. The load was a phone. I wonder though if it was a result of the edges curling up like Frodo said and something caught it repeatedly which caused the weak spot. Also, I've found that starting on the inside of the adds more play into the stitch which has been disconsterting to me.

On 9/5/2020 at 4:19 AM, FrenchMich said:

Hello,

Some main critics :
Your flap is too short, It could be better if it's was longer to have your carving in a flat surface (not on the radius of the fold). Moreover with the stiffness of leather, it will be easier to keep it closed.
Edges lack of finshing with burnisher and you must tame your edger (too much irregular) and insist more on the interior faces.

Concerning the carving my opinion is :
- It's missing a stop line between the and of carving and your sew. Presently, it's your sewing line which stop your carving.
- It looks like you don't used beveler? It lack of volum, mostly inside the flower.

if you improve these few items at first, the result will already be different

Mich'

I agree, that my flap was too short.

The edges were burnished although the edge bevel was irregular. Could you explain what you mean when you say "insist more on the interior faces"?

In regard to the beveler, I did bevel my initial carving. Inside the flower, most of the lines (the three on each pedal) are decorative cuts and unbeveled. All other lines are beveled. Should decorative cuts be beveled?

Thank you all for the input!

Something I forgot to mention, because I always do it and take it for granted. I always start my stitching in hole #4 and sew BACK to #1. I then sew back to the last hole and backstitch 3 stitches. This creates a "thread rivet" that resists breaking.

You might also consider a folded belt loop.