Hi guys,

I have been a member of the group for a while and have admired everyone's work here, I am reluctant to show my own offerings but decided to take the plunge.

I have been working for a couple of weeks on this English Style Briefcase, I live in the Philippines so sometimes products are difficult to get shipped here and things take longer waiting for accessories etc. The case is made of Veg tan leather  with all the fittings being solid brass with a brass lock from Amiet, it has a key holder, address tag and strap with shoulder pad. The bag is 3 compartment with the first compartment having a passport/cellphone pocket and pen loops, 2nd compartment is a zipped laptop pocket and the third compartment is plain for pads, books etc.

The gussets are in 3 pieces to give good fit and bend on the corners.

Although I live in the Philippines and have done for 25 years, I am originally from England hence my natural preference for English style leather work.

Stay safe everyone

IMG_0102 (2).JPG

IMG_0087 (2).JPG

IMG_0104 (2).JPG

17 minutes ago, expatguy said:

I am reluctant to show my own offerings but decided to take the plunge.

That is quite a nice briefcase. Good work!

That is excellent and shows the skills that made it

What part of the UK did you come from, lots of UK people on this forum

4 hours ago, expatguy said:

Hi guys,

I have been a member of the group for a while and have admired everyone's work here, I am reluctant to show my own offerings but decided to take the plunge.

I have been working for a couple of weeks on this English Style Briefcase, I live in the Philippines so sometimes products are difficult to get shipped here and things take longer waiting for accessories etc. The case is made of Veg tan leather  with all the fittings being solid brass with a brass lock from Amiet, it has a key holder, address tag and strap with shoulder pad. The bag is 3 compartment with the first compartment having a passport/cellphone pocket and pen loops, 2nd compartment is a zipped laptop pocket and the third compartment is plain for pads, books etc.

The gussets are in 3 pieces to give good fit and bend on the corners.

Although I live in the Philippines and have done for 25 years, I am originally from England hence my natural preference for English style leather work.

Stay safe everyone

IMG_0102 (2).JPG

IMG_0087 (2).JPG

IMG_0104 (2).JPG

Excellent work! Attention paid to detail in every aspect. People will see this and be reluctant to show their stuff  :)

Wonderful chair also. Well done.

Thanks, Crisash appreciate the kind words. I originally come from a small place called Marple in the North West of England now a popular place for the canals and Industrial history of Samuel Oldknow. I go back every two or three years to see my family there.

Thanks Toxo, appreciate your kind sentiments. I cannot take credit for the chair it was made by a local artist for an exhibition based on Alice in Wonderland. The title of the chair is English Breakfast, so it struck a chord with me.

Thanks LatigoAmigo, 

Nobody should be afraid to show their work here.  The whole point (I hope!) is to learn and to get honest feedback.  Most of us do that kindly and gently.  

Getting back to the subject, your briefcase, it is outstanding, in my opinion.  I love all of the little details you covered.  I really like the zippered compartment, that is a nice touch.  I'm glad you showed the interior, sometimes people only show the exterior and it makes you wonder what pockets, etc. they might have inside.

I also like the address tag that is integrated into the case.  Just nice touches all the way around.  Congrats on a nice piece of work.

Thank you very much Tugadude, I very much appreciate the kind comments,

Beautiful work!

You have nothing to be ashamed of.  That briefcase is beautiful! 

Nice chair too.  Being American, I thought coffee at first.  Either way, a great and fun design.

Thank you Alexis1234 appreciate your comments.

Thanks rodneywt1180b, appreciate the comments about the case and the chair.

It is lovely indeed.  Does it feel heavy in the hand?

Thanks YinTx appreciate the comment.

Spyros, it feels substantial but not heavy in the hand. It would not be uncomfortable to walk with around a city.

I don't like heavy cases as you tend not to want to use them.

Weight was my question as I have built several cases and if not careful they are heavy.  Pretty work, what is the color of the dye you used and outside weight of the leather.  It looks machine sewed, if not excellent work, and if so excellent work.

On 9/4/2020 at 8:41 AM, Wykoni said:

Weight was my question as I have built several cases and if not careful they are heavy.  Pretty work, what is the color of the dye you used and outside weight of the leather.  It looks machine sewed, if not excellent work, and if so excellent work.

Hi Wykoni,  the weight of the leather is 5oz it is pre dyed in tan color, all the stitching is by hand. I don't own a machine. 

You had me curious about the total weight so I weighed the bag on our digital kitchen scales and it weighs 3lb 4oz with the name tag and key holder but without the shoulder strap. With the shoulder strap it weighs 3lb 9oz.

Beautiful briefcase.   Thankyou for also showing the inside.   Did you design the pattern or did you purchase one?

Hi Scoutmom, the base pattern is from craftsmangus who is based in Thailand, he can be found on ETSY. I modified it a fair bit and the hey holder and address label are my own patterns.

Ok, wait, I just noticed the coffee cup!  That is fantastic!!  The bag is still awesome too!

YinTx

Beautiful craftsmanship! 

Hey there! I stumbled upon this thread and just wanted to let you know that your English Style Briefcase is dope! I love how you paid attention to every little detail and used solid brass fittings. It's so cool to see someone who puts so much effort into making a unique and functional leather bag. I know how tough it can be trying to find materials in certain parts of the world, so props to you for persevering and creating something really special. I'm new to this forum and just wanted to say hi. I know this thread is pretty old, but I just wanted to let you know that your work is awesome and super inspiring.

Edited by Northmount
Removed SPAM link

Beautiful bag!!

I agree with everyone else here, you absolutely should not be reluctant to show this off.  I think it's super nice and the craftsmanship is outstanding. Great job!