Rahere

I slept on it and

Any of you own a fencepost thumper? One of those 8" diameter tubes with a plate welded over the end and handles on the side, drives a post like butter?
Now scale it down. Say 1cm diameter, 5cm long, no handles (OK, you could embed it in a malleable thermoplastic to fit in a clenched hand precisely, with a thumb over the top).
And now you've got rid of the problem of unpredictable thrust when you use it on a punch. Simply plug the end of a tube, then thread it and add a knurled cap with a rubber shock pad?

Dunno what to call it, but you can't patent it 'cos I said it here first!

How would you use it? Pick it up and drop it down each time? I'm trying to think of how it'd work for beveling. I could see it for a one hit stamp perhaps but I've gotten good with just repetition on those.

Springload it like a  center punch. (R) <---my turn :-P

Fix the leather, one hand on the stamp, main hand thumping it with the thumb on top. The realisation is it gives far finer control than a mallet putting sideways vectors into the head of the stamp - and you can aways do that. More importantly, you can get a faster hit rate. The biggest issue's the variable size of chisel shaft, I think 7mm should do it, making for an M10 tube.

My wrist hurts just thinking of using it, if I’m picturing it right. Without the weight of the mallet your arm and wrist would have to do all the work. Am I missing something?

10 hours ago, Rahere said:

Any of you own a fencepost thumper? One of those 8" diameter tubes with a plate welded over the end and handles on the side, drives a post like butter?
Now scale it down. Say 1cm diameter, 5cm long, no handles (OK, you could embed it in a malleable thermoplastic to fit in a clenched hand precisely, with a thumb over the top).
And now you've got rid of the problem of unpredictable thrust when you use it on a punch. Simply plug the end of a tube, then thread it and add a knurled cap with a rubber shock pad?

What I do when I think of these things. Go for it, build it and give it a try!

Hmmm. Slide hammer....

I use a press instead. No hammering.

22 hours ago, DrmCa said:

I use a press instead. No hammering.

For punching holes sure I get that as well as one time impressions on cased leather. 

I like the idea Sanch has, make a slide hammer out of it.  Slip over tool, line up and hammer.  Two or three different weight hammers.

47 minutes ago, MikeRock said:

I like the idea Sanch has, make a slide hammer out of it.  Slip over tool, line up and hammer.  Two or three different weight hammers.

In order to make it work you have to then make all your handles 8 to 12 inches long or you'll be hitting your thumb and forefinger every time you use the dumb thing.

I'll keep my mallet . . . thanks.

May God bless,

Dwight

how about a spring loaded tube ,  less weight less bulk

Dwight,

I agree...  the other difficulty with a slide hammer is some loss in the ability to turn and maneuver the business end of the tool.  The subtle little twists and turns when edging or other continuous actions gets difficult if the knurled portion of the tool handle is covered with the hollow end of the slide hammer rod. 

K.I.S.S. LOL

2 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

K.I.S.S. LOL

YES SIR  I made it already, small, fits all diameter of my tools but only intended for my bevelers if it works great if not then it was fun to make

5 hours ago, Dwight said:

In order to make it work you have to then make all your handles 8 to 12 inches long or you'll be hitting your thumb and forefinger every time you use the dumb thing.

I'll keep my mallet . . . thanks.

May God bless,

Dwight

Naaa, no need to make changes to existing tools and no need for it to slide the length of the tool your not setting a fence spike just tapping a beveler.  I'm sure the idea has been tried before and not succeeded but what the hell! I made one out of some 6061 aluminum I actually repurposed a coupling that I had made for one of my small AC motors that I used for a burnisher sometime back. It doesn't quite weigh 200 g but I think it's heavy enough the added force of the tapping should suffice we will see

Wish I still had access to the lathe I used to be able to use. I'd remake it out of brass now that I know it works and doesn't interfere with the manipulation of the tool! Gonna look at my old gravers and see if I can repurpose one of them.

IMG_20211223_145019_resized.jpg

IMG_20211223_145125_resized.jpg

IMG_20211223_144847_resized.jpg

What about this?

1 hour ago, bland said:

What about this?

Seen it no thanks.  Again K.I.S.S. is the best if I wanted that I've got 2 air gravers I could molest into that monster.

On 9/1/2020 at 8:48 PM, Rahere said:

@Rahere thank you for the idea. I would call it successful for my part.  And I'm sorry for having hijacked your post.  My findings are these.  1.  It's doable. 2. Measuring the depth of the thumper in reference to how you hold the stamping tool is critical or as @Dwight so aptly put it the "dumb thing" will hit your fingers and thumb. 3. The weight of the thumper needs to be no less than 186-200g to be effective.  4. Stamping Tool articulation around curves and corners not affected.  (in my case B2042 and self made micro beveler) 5. If thumper were in the 500g range it might lend itself to being useful for background work.  6. I hold my maul at the head and handle 60/40 (the 40 is the head) when I work, so anyone who holds "all handle" may or may not be able to control the thumper. Sorry for the long post I do have other findings but this is plenty "It does work and work well in my humble opinion" here are some results.  Good, bad, wrong, right or indifferent I like it!  If you like your mallet or maul or tree branch or old boot heel use it!  It's yours!  

IMG_20211224_095736_resized.jpg

24 minutes ago, Sanch said:

@Rahere thank you for the idea. I would call it successful for my part.  And I'm sorry for having hijacked your post.  My findings are these.  1.  It's doable. 2. Measuring the depth of the thumper in reference to how you hold the stamping tool is critical or as @Dwight so aptly put it the "dumb thing" will hit your fingers and thumb. 3. The weight of the thumper needs to be no less than 186-200g to be effective.  4. Stamping Tool articulation around curves and corners not affected.  (in my case B2042 and self made micro beveler) 5. If thumper were in the 500g range it might lend itself to being useful for background work.  6. I hold my maul at the head and handle 60/40 (the 40 is the head) when I work, so anyone who holds "all handle" may or may not be able to control the thumper. Sorry for the long post I do have other findings but this is plenty "It does work and work well in my humble opinion" here are some results.  Good, bad, wrong, right or indifferent I like it!  If you like your mallet or maul or tree branch or old boot heel use it!  It's yours!  

IMG_20211224_095736_resized.jpg

From what we can see . . . looks good from here.

Can you post a picture of the finished product?

May God bless,

Dwight

@Dwightthis one is far from done sir! It's my personal seat for my Shovelhead. Soon as I get it all done I'll show it. The more I use the thumper the more it's growing on me!

Ok, gonna try to keep this going as I'm still pretty stoked with my results.  I made some more improvements to the "Thumper" I found while using it with my bevelers that there was a little too much slop, the shaft diameter of the beveler and the orifice diameter were allowing for "rattle" and not as much control as I would like.  Seen hereIMG_20211225_123742_resized.jpg.98ac709be6f7651eb145323486dd4492.jpg

So I added a sleeve. Seen here. IMG_20211225_123731_resized.jpg.fbc50560a56d64bef375728110f3c859.jpg

Also I didn't like the noise of aluminum pinging on the beveler so I added a wafer of delrin (same material as my maul heads) in the bottom of the "slide hole" seen in previous pic. You can also see the added weight (sacrificial maul top nut) I felt I'd make it look better as well as upping the weight to a little over 200gIMG_20211225_123912_resized.jpg.02a721e016e5b0b5fa7ab2c8a59cc7df.jpg plus if I need it heavier I can change the top nut out for my brass one from another maul I made.IMG_20211225_133129_resized.jpg.39be24ec650ee4f93151a724bbeb4575.jpg and last pic shows the air line (sleeve) installed 

IMG_20211225_123955_resized.jpg.f7acf26027da300ef2c6b43d6bd8e0bd.jpg

Also to answer anyone who'd ask.  No this "Thumper" doesn't replace my mauls I will still use them. Even though I can now use the thumper proficiently with my back grounders as well.

51 minutes ago, Sanch said:

Ok, gonna try to keep this going as I'm still pretty stoked with my results.  I made some more improvements to the "Thumper" I found while using it with my bevelers that there was a little too much slop, the shaft diameter of the beveler and the orifice diameter were allowing for "rattle" and not as much control as I would like.  Seen hereIMG_20211225_123742_resized.jpg.98ac709be6f7651eb145323486dd4492.jpg

So I added a sleeve. Seen here. IMG_20211225_123731_resized.jpg.fbc50560a56d64bef375728110f3c859.jpg

Also I didn't like the noise of aluminum pinging on the beveler so I added a wafer of delrin (same material as my maul heads) in the bottom of the "slide hole" seen in previous pic. You can also see the added weight (sacrificial maul top nut) I felt I'd make it look better as well as upping the weight to a little over 200gIMG_20211225_123912_resized.jpg.02a721e016e5b0b5fa7ab2c8a59cc7df.jpg plus if I need it heavier I can change the top nut out for my brass one from another maul I made.IMG_20211225_133129_resized.jpg.39be24ec650ee4f93151a724bbeb4575.jpg and last pic shows the air line (sleeve) installed 

IMG_20211225_123955_resized.jpg.f7acf26027da300ef2c6b43d6bd8e0bd.jpg

Also to answer anyone who'd ask.  No this "Thumper" doesn't replace my mauls I will still use them. Even though I can now use the thumper proficiently with my back grounders as well.

i love it when a good plan comes together! Pretty much just a matter of muscle memory now it should work as well as any mallet or hammer.

@chuck123wapatibevelling much faster no need to re- check where stamp is in reference to maul head. Simple tap tap tap, easy enough to go back if there's any skipping which is very seldom.  K.I.S.S. wins the day again!