JJN

Consew 256R-1 What is it?

I saw this Consew 256R-1 up for sale today. I know about the 255R but have never heard of a 256R. I googled it and nothing but a couple that have sold show up. No information at all. The ad says it has extra long stitch and high lift. I posted it here for future reference.

consew256r-1.jpg

Edited by JJN

Seems the difference between 255 and 256 is the stitch length adjustment, the 256 seem to have the old Singer 111 / 211 stitch length thingy with push down button in the flat bead and then adjusting the stitch length by turning the hand wheel and the 255 has a dial knob.

Don´t know about the stitch length of the 256 but on the hand wheel I see a 4 - so 4 SPI at least I think.

Looks like a rock solid machine in great condition I´d even guess its made by SEIKO, Japan.

Edited by Constabulary

37 minutes ago, Constabulary said:

I´d even guess its made by SEIKO, Japan

I concur. Consew did make them in Japan, the early ones I guess,  but I believe they moved manufacturing to China.  But the one in the pic clearly says ' Made In Japan', bottom right. 

@JJN If you don't mind me asking,  how much is it selling for? Whatever you decide, its quite a good machine. 

HS

On 9/2/2020 at 12:56 AM, Handstitched said:

If you don't mind me asking,  how much is it selling for?

The owner is asking $1500. I am not interested in buying this machine as I have too many (just the right amount) at the moment.  The price seems about $500 too high anyway. I am always looking to increase my knowledge about industrial machines and I couldn't find anything on this one. I am curious about bobbin size on this model. I should call the owner and see if they can tell me.

On 9/2/2020 at 9:56 AM, Handstitched said:

I concur. Consew did make them in Japan, the early ones I guess,  but I believe they moved manufacturing to China.  But the one in the pic clearly says ' Made In Japan', bottom right. 

@JJN If you don't mind me asking,  how much is it selling for? Whatever you decide, its quite a good machine. 

HS

I´m not sure if Consew ever produced their own machines. AFAIK they relabeled JUKI, Seiko and probably other makes bur never produced machines by their self in a "Consew Factory".

JJN - as the seller if he can measure the diameter of the bobbins - 22mm is the small / standard bobbin.

It uses the small G size bobbin. It also has a servo motor.

JJN,

I'm so glad you posted the pic of this old Consew. It looks almost identical to a machine I just bought. But the one I have is missing it's label saying if it is a 256 or 255.

Seller told me the machine was 255RB, and provided Operating Instructions with it (bad photo copy) that featured a Consew 255RB-2... But many of the Consew machines are also listed on the front, including 254BTC, 255BTC, and a list of others beginning with those same digits. I do have what I think is a serial number on my machine, but no idea of it's date of manufacturing.

I'll try to do a new post to show my own machine and answer questions about it. I got the machine set up and stitching perfect yesterday with 135 thread on top, 92 thread on bottom. Getting her ready to do some Auto Upholstery work. I'm thrilled with how smoothly she runs after oiling and tuning!

@suzelle

I'm new to sewing and just purchased a similar sewing machine head and have many questions. Is it appropriate to ask here or should I start a new thread? I read the rules of posting and I'm not sure. The machine was sold as a 255rb but it's a Seiko lsw 8bl I think, but it may not matter bc they may be the same? Does your machine have a safety clutch? Mine does not and I'm wondering about what I will experience without a safety clutch. 

Regards

Yello Bird

(my boats name bc my name was already being used here) 

IMG_20230427_100753.jpg

Probably best to do a new topic instead of bringing a dead topic back to life.