Sign in to follow this  
Hippiechic20

Singer 29k171 capable of doing saddle and tack repair?

There is a Singer 29k171 with the stand for sale near me for $400.  Would it be strong enough and capable of sewing saddle skirting and doing bridle repairs?  Is this price reasonable for this type of machine?  Seller said it's "oiled and running good"  I want to ask your opinions before taking a leap.  Modern day machines are not in my price range right now, so I really just need to know if this will do the job please ☺

39 minutes ago, Hippiechic20 said:

There is a Singer 29k171 with the stand for sale near me for $400.  Would it be strong enough and capable of sewing saddle skirting and doing bridle repairs?  Is this price reasonable for this type of machine?  Seller said it's "oiled and running good"  I want to ask your opinions before taking a leap.  Modern day machines are not in my price range right now, so I really just need to know if this will do the job please ☺

The answer is NO,this machine was made to sew slightly over 1/4" & mainly designed for shoe repair.It has no feed dogs & uses the upper foot to pull the leather but it has teeth on the bottom that will mark the top of the leather.

Also, it can't handle very thick thread. The one thing it is unbeatable at is access, it can get in almost anywhere.

On 9/3/2020 at 2:03 PM, CowboyBob said:

The answer is NO,this machine was made to sew slightly over 1/4" & mainly designed for shoe repair.It has no feed dogs & uses the upper foot to pull the leather but it has teeth on the bottom that will mark the top of the leather.

Thank you Cowboy.  That was valuable information.  Are there other 29Ks that do not mark the leather?  I'd like to offer boot repairs as well, so it may still be worth getting.  Do you know if $400 is reasonable?

29K´s usually work well with 138 thread. My short arm 29K71 can sew almost 12mm material (webbing io my case - leather is probably a different story) but that does not mean all 29K´s can do this. But to be honest the comfort zone for my machine zone is rather 5-8mm. I have pushed it to the max and I never sew this thickness but my machine it is able to if I have to. Running a machine at is limit will increase wear / shorten its life so I would not recommend this for a daily running machine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kF1feAFwdQ&feature=youtu.be

All 29K have the same feed mechanism, they all mark the leather more or less depending on leather type, foot pressure and type of presser foot (fine teeth, coarse teeth...)