Handstitched

What the hell is this?

Just doing my usual search  amongst  the sewing machine listings in the classifieds, and found this:

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/bellevue/sewing-machines/sewing-machine-industrial/1254798278

Al I can make out is " Patent  ....bbler" 

Looks like it was once used as a boat anchor.  Is it even a sewing machine at all? 

HS

Nope, not a sewing machine. Just like it says on the side, it’s a nibbler - a sheet metal tool. Like you say, looks more like a boat anchor now, and clearly missing plenty.

43 minutes ago, Retswerb said:

Nope, not a sewing machine

Yep, you're right. Its a nibbler, I've also informed the seller. 

32 minutes ago, Constabulary said:

hmmm - looks complete but I think the needle is bent

It might come in handy if you need to sew two pieces of sheet metal together. Hate to see the size of  needles & thread , o'h my goodness !!!  :rofl:

We learn something new every day  :)

HS 

For me that Gumtree link points to a domestic Janome serger. Please copy/upload some pictures directly here, so that we know what you’re looking at long after that original link becomes useless. It may already be too late for that.

1 hour ago, Uwe said:

Please copy/upload some pictures directly here, so that we know what you’re looking at long after that original link becomes useless. It may already be too late for that.

I can do that... the image was not downloadable, so I used a screen shot.

Janome Serger.jpg

the original link lead to a massive cast iron housing - no joke. Its now forwarded to a different add - note this at the end of the link when you click it: exAdID=1254798278

Edited by Constabulary

@Uwe Yeh, it was a bare  ' sewing machine shaped lump of iron', similar to the pic, but without  ...everything, like the flywheel, and whatever  the other bits are, and very rusty, like it really  was used as a boat anchor . I informed the seller, he corrected his boo boo. 

OOPS!! My bad,  sorry peeps. I just had sewing machine brain, if there is such a  medical condition. But nothing wrong with letting our imaginations run a bit wild eh?  :)

HS

images (1).jpg

found it. It could be mistaken for a sewing machine I guess. 

HS

Nibbler.jpg

46 minutes ago, Handstitched said:

found it. It could be mistaken for a sewing machine I guess. 

HS

Nibbler.jpg

Looks like it reads Patent Heeler, so perhaps it was a sewing machine after all.

Someone was actually trying to SELL that rusted lump??  :lol:

10 hours ago, Sheilajeanne said:

Someone was actually trying to SELL that rusted lump??

Yep, for $50- . It could only be scrap metal value . But then again, I shouldn't really judge, it may have some value to a collector  :dunno:

HS

Scrap value, about 75p. Current scrap steel/iron price in the UK is about £75 per clean ton. 

However, I've seen a vintage car engine that was used as an anchor totally rebuilt and put back into a vintage car. The engine was given to the car owner as an anchor for his boat.

One man's scrap is another man's required item for a resto

Fred....wow....just...WOW!!

I guess there's always someone that enjoys a challenge! 

In an effort to keep this thread on topic ....well.....sort of ( I'm sure the  LW mods might laugh at that....  :) )  it could be turned into some sort of sewing machine. Maybe as an outdoor  display for a sewing machine service or restoration business ?  Anyone with a welder and some creativity could do that . 

No-one would dare steal it, it would give them a hernia !! 

7 hours ago, fredk said:

One man's scrap is another man's required item for a resto

or, ' one man's trash is another man's treasure' .

I've seen the passion  that goes into sewing machines on here, so nothing is impossible . 

HS