Boofy

Cat/dog Harness

Hi all.

I hope you are all well in this crazy time!

We have recently got a 10 month old rescue cat called Ruby. She is now an inside cat due to lots of traffic, bird life and stray cats in the area etc. I am taking her outside on a little nylon harness that I bought. It does keep her safely under control but it is a real pain to get on her and I think the thin straps might dig in as well.

I am looking at trying to make a harness for her from leather &/or other materials.

If people have made harnesses for dogs or cats, can they tell me what to use I do have some calf veg tan as well as some softer synthetic pieces, I don't know if they would rub or be too hot in our 100+deg heat at Dubbo NSW.

Any ideas on patterns, leather or other materials, closures, lining etc would also be welcome. I like ones that you step the cat into (jacker style) rather than trying to get her head in a loop or tangle with straps like her current one.

Ruby is a small slim cat so it would have to be rather narrow to allow her freedom of movement. This is her in her synthetic harness enjoying the weeds in our garden!.

Thanks for any guidance.

IMG_1135.jpeg.d38145ab9e71bf13466617143f81b10c.jpeg

Classic custom pattern-making uses a cling-film underwrap separator with gaffer tape on top to take a cast - it's easy to cut through. Then, with it opened, look for flat surfaces, use a sharpie to map out either panels or fillet cut-ins, then add seam allowances and cut a draft in cotton.  Once you know that works, separate the panels and remake in leather.

Given a fur coat in the subtropics is hot anyway, I'd strongly suggest using openweave fabrics in large panel areas. Something like aida tapestry material, in nylon.

Have you had luck looking for small dog/puppy harnesses/vests? If you are somewhere hot, I would think a fabric/textile would be less insulating than leather. You could use neoprene sleeves on your current harness to provide extra padding, though neoprene doesn't tend to breathe very well either. Hmm. I wish I knew more about textiles and sewing, but I can barely sew on a button. :wacko:

Edit: you know what was easy to put on my corgi was a small lifevest for swimming. You could consider emulating some of that design.

Edited by Alaisiagae

22 hours ago, Rahere said:

Classic custom pattern-making uses a cling-film underwrap separator with gaffer tape on top to take a cast - it's easy to cut through. Then, with it opened, look for flat surfaces, use a sharpie to map out either panels or fillet cut-ins, then add seam allowances and cut a draft in cotton.  Once you know that works, separate the panels and remake in leather.

Given a fur coat in the subtropics is hot anyway, I'd strongly suggest using openweave fabrics in large panel areas. Something like aida tapestry material, in nylon.

Thanks Rahere, I am doing a draft pattern now, getting the little darling to sit still long enough is a bit of a challenge - bribery is being used to great effect! The harness in your post is a cool one too! I am still getting her shape down and will go from there!

21 hours ago, Alaisiagae said:

Have you had luck looking for small dog/puppy harnesses/vests? If you are somewhere hot, I would think a fabric/textile would be less insulating than leather. You could use neoprene sleeves on your current harness to provide extra padding, though neoprene doesn't tend to breathe very well either. Hmm. I wish I knew more about textiles and sewing, but I can barely sew on a button. :wacko:

Edit: you know what was easy to put on my corgi was a small lifevest for swimming. You could consider emulating some of that design.

Oh that is indeed a good idea Rahere! I am looking into that as well!

Once you've got it flat, transfer to paper, copy, cut out the copy, and average out the sides. Trace onto fresh paper, add a seam allowance (it'll likely be different in some places) , and laminate. 

32 minutes ago, Rahere said:

Once you've got it flat, transfer to paper, copy, cut out the copy, and average out the sides. Trace onto fresh paper, add a seam allowance (it'll likely be different in some places) , and laminate. 

Thanks Rahere, You seem to know the same workflow as I do. I am also hoping to turn it into an embroidery file to make on my machine so I can do different ones quickly with embellishments etc, maybe sell some eventually??? That will depend on the size of the pattern though!:banana:

In your case, I'd suggest a man-made fabric, heat-sealed edges, caught between fairly thin leather and a tough fabric - coutil level, perhaps denim. Is sand an issue? Don't forget she'll look to clean herself.

5 hours ago, Rahere said:

My bible's www.assembil.com How Patterns Work, as it goes from first principles hooking slopers in to adjustment, fitting and finishing.

Hey that seems like a great site, thanks heaps Rahere!

5 hours ago, Rahere said:

In your case, I'd suggest a man-made fabric, heat-sealed edges, caught between fairly thin leather and a tough fabric - coutil level, perhaps denim. Is sand an issue? Don't forget she'll look to clean herself.

Good points Rahere, sand is not an issue but dust is when we have drought like last year. I am doing a light weight harness first for summer. Then probably a better, slightly thicker one for the cold winters here. And yes she will clean herself constantly so I am trying to take that into account as well.

I once had a cat that could break out of just about any cat carrier ever made. Same with harnesses! I eventually found a figure of 8 harness that worked very well. It was just a long leather strap with a single buckle, and was very easy to put on him!

There are some examples on this page here:  https://www.amazon.ca/s?k=figure+8+cat+harness&gclid=Cj0KCQjw-uH6BRDQARIsAI3I-UebzpZjzzluy30ULJO63tET4Qi7iCVsrac3kBycGpBTj5O9ky7KLfAaAgt_EALw_wcB&hvadid=249805138783&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9000736&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=17754287918582392215&hvtargid=kwd-3722692357&hydadcr=4088_9337052&tag=googcana-20&ref=pd_sl_34ixqhlimw_e

The harness I had was even simpler. It did not include the plastic plate on the top that the straps thread through. If I can find it, I will post a picture. It was the simplest thing you could imagine, but oh my gosh, it WORKED when no other type of harness did!

Edit: found it, and am VERY surprised to find it doesn't fit my current cat! I always thought he was very small compared to the cat I bought it for!

Anyway, here's how it goes on: Position buckle on top of cat's shoulders, with the tab for the leash next to it. Run strap around cat's neck, then through the tab and under the cat's belly and up the other side. Fasten the buckle. 

What I like about it is there is only the one buckle to worry about, and it doesn't interfere with the cat's shoulder movement the way many harnesses do. And when the cat tries to get free, both the neck and belly portions of the harness tighten to prevent escape!

cat harness.JPG

Edited by Sheilajeanne