Chris623

New here..........first post............first of many questions, probably!

I'm a bladesmith.  Have been delivering my knives to customers in zip-closed Cordura bags because I've never made a leather sheath.  My fellow blade makers have been goading me into delivering my knives in "proper" leather sheaths.  At this point in time, I plan on making very simple fold-over sheaths with just a tasteful minimalist running edge.  Bought a simple set of 6 stamps from Tandy and am not satisfied with the sharpness of the details on them.  Just looking at them makes me wish for much sharper tools.  Since I have no desire at this point to really get into extensive tooling of leather, I think I can afford a very small assortment of high quality, sharp stamping tools.  But I don't know where to find them.  Any suggestions for a newbie???

Edited by Chris623

Thanks, fredk.  I've looked at that site before and the pictures of the imprints don't look all that sharp.  Is that just poor photography, or are their tools not sharp?  I've seen brass stamp sites and their stamps make incredibly sharp impressions.

Probably bad photos as BK has a very high reputation on this forum for extremely good tools

edit; I'm hoping others on here will see this and have some input

Edited by fredk

Okay, thanks.

Don't know what you are expecting, but as a user of many of Barry's tools, they make sharp and distinct impressions

Terry

Edited by terrymac

I've no experience with these tools to really know WHAT is reasonable to expect, Terry.  But just looking at the business end of Tandy's, I can tell I want something sharper.  I've seen pictures on the Internet of the business end of some steel (and brass)  tools that are nice, sharp and very crisp.  First impression was "Now THAT's what I'm after!"  Just trying to gather some recommended names so I can try some of their tools.

The best, in my opinion, currently made tools that I buy are either Barry King, Robert Beard or Wayne Jueschke

https://www.barrykingtools.com/

https://www.facebook.com/ProSeriesTools/

Depending on just what leather stamping tools you have, you can take a pippin Swiss or jewellers needle file or a cutter in a dremel type motor tool and improve them. The state of your leather at the time of stamping also plays a part. The leather needs to be 'cased' just right. Too wet and the impression will be a smudge, too dry and it wont be deep enough to be sharp. Try some recutting of the tool face first before investing in the more expensive and better tools

WOW, Bob, those Robert Beard tools look nice.  Can't seem to find prices anywhere.  Does he only sell through Facebook?

Thanks for the recommendation, fredk.  Lot's to learn, for sure.

Edited by Chris623

13 hours ago, Chris623 said:

WOW, Bob, those Robert Beard tools look nice.  Can't seem to find prices anywhere.  Does he only sell through Facebook?

Price range is much like those of a bladesmith work.  I usually purchase Bob's tools at the leather shows he attends like the Rocky Mountain Leather show in Sheridan, WY in May. Whatever I've paid for them in the past, I can sell them for more now.  Here is a sampling of the tool impressions ( https://www.pinterest.com/pin/98094098114540664/  ).  Call him, (505) 632-7039 and ask your questions.  Or send him a Facebook message.  I used to live in England and had Bob send me the tools I needed and paid the price of his tools and the duty, just to get his pebble grained tools.  For a cheaper price and a comparable quality the Barry King tool are worth their price and hold their value.

Thanks, Bob.  Didn't realize he was from over the pond.  I'll probably just stick with Barry King stamps.  Don't plan on doing a lot of tooling, so can probably afford a few of them.

3 minutes ago, Chris623 said:

Didn't realize he was from over the pond

No, I was.  He is State side.

Oh.  I misunderstood!  (not unusual, though)  I'll still probably just stick with Barry King stamps.  I was at our local Tandy's yesterday and they were having a sale.  Lots of folks there, so asked a whole lot of newbie questions.  Barry's tools came up in a bunch of discussions as really nice and sharp ones, giving really good clean impressions.  That's all I'm after.  I'm probably not going to be doing much more than simple borders, so the stamp is the "image", not flowers, vines and acorns.........and the like.  I"m not really planning on doing any/much tooling at all.

It’s been said here frequently. Make sure your skills are not the limiting factor in your final results. Honestly until you have been tooling for quite awhile the Tandy tools will serve you fine, it’s only when your skills reach a point where you can’t improve without better tools that the more expensive tools are warranted. 

Just my .02

Todd

fwiw,

if you want to tool your sheaths, go for it.

but there is no rule book saying so.  for me and when i was doing leatherwork, i could do patterns and such, but no freestyle or carving.  My carvings came out like my pencil drawings....stick figure ish..  

So when i made holsters or someone asked me to make one, i always told them, no tooling, just plane jane.  They were happy with that and you can be too if you want.

Eventually you will ask yourself, are you a knife maker, or a leather worker.  Its you choice and you can change if/when you want.

If you want some new thoughts on stamps with extremely high quality then Sergey Neskromniy is your man, rather than the tired old stamps he has brought modern thinking designs especially with say basket weave seen here 

https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/LeatherStampsTools?page=2#items

Honestly Tandy's products are just fine for noobs. They're cheap but relatively good quality. The sharpness of the impression also depends on the user (what you're using to pound, what you're pounding on, proper casing methods, etc). Weaver Leather has some great stamps and as mentioned Barry King is one of the major "go-tos" in leatherwork.

9 hours ago, chrisash said:

If you want some new thoughts on stamps with extremely high quality then Sergey Neskromniy is your man, rather than the tired old stamps he has brought modern thinking designs especially with say basket weave seen here 

https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/LeatherStampsTools?page=2#items

I've been drooling over some of his designs.

Yup, guys-n-gals, I'll stick with "cleaned up" Tandy stamps for now and will progress to Barry King.  Honestly don't see myself progressing enough further that I'll need better than that.

Go with Barry King, Bob Beard, or Wayne Jueschke stamps!  Some say that the stamp doesn’t make the difference until you get good with Tandy stamps! I strongly disagree with that statement, buy one of the above mentioned basketweave stamps and a Tandy similar stamp them side by side and if you are blind and only read Braille you could tell the difference in the quality!  You will be using a basketweave stamp I feel sure on sheaths so give it a try for yourself, you’ll be convinced!