YinTx

Alligator and Chevre Chagrin Handbag, Black and Pink

Finally got the nerve to put this together.  Lots of room for improvement, open to all critique!  Will be starting on improved versions soon...for sure the gussets will be different.  This is actually version 2, the first one was worthy of the bin.  A bit more challenging than it looks I have learned!

YinTx

PinkandBlackGator1LoRes.thumb.JPG.961ce722932d52905285d08ede6682e8.JPG

PinkandBlackGator2LoRes.thumb.JPG.13e3a7788c8e32f23158323765fadce7.JPG

PinkandBlackGator3LoRes.thumb.JPG.eda4603e2933b143e70e1ccc28e8786e.JPG

Cool! I love the pink and black.  How big is it?  It looks like it's actually pretty small.

Nice work. The only thing I would change on your design is to include a second matching handle. Even as small as it is, it "LOOKS" like the single handle would pull the front flap open, even though it probably doesn't. 

I have wrestled with the same problem as you when it comes to lining. The lining looks as bulky as the body of the purse. I look at expensive designer bags ..and lots of them have that "edge sauce" painted on to hide the exposed leather edge. The liner is hidden inside somehow?? I am not  a fan of edge paint. Maybe use thinner lining??

Keep going. You have inspired me to get to work.

b

16 hours ago, rodneywt1180b said:

Cool! I love the pink and black.  How big is it?  It looks like it's actually pretty small.

Thanks!  and Yeah, it's pretty tiny.  Only wide and tall enough to hold a credit card.

8 minutes ago, Naidni said:

Nice work. The only thing I would change on your design is to include a second matching handle. Even as small as it is, it "LOOKS" like the single handle would pull the front flap open, even though it probably doesn't. 

I have wrestled with the same problem as you when it comes to lining. The lining looks as bulky as the body of the purse. I look at expensive designer bags ..and lots of them have that "edge sauce" painted on to hide the exposed leather edge. The liner is hidden inside somehow?? I am not  a fan of edge paint. Maybe use thinner lining??

Thank you.  That handle is pretty small, not really a handle, just decoration.  No way it could disengage the snaps.  And the body is pretty stiff, so it turned out to be difficult to open anyhow since I attached the liner to the body on a curve.  I didn't like how that turned out, so the next version I am working on is made with much thinner components.  No Pelton filler on the liner this time!

YinTx

also, photo with model for scale (although the model is tiny herself):

PinkandBlackGator6LoRes.jpg.3dd8e2ee484b50f802dd26bc2a7a4acf.jpg

Edited by YinTx

I see what you mean regarding the scale of the project.  Miniature stuff is more difficult for sure.

Well Done!! 

That’s the fun of It getting better with each one you make. I made many wallets till I was a little happy. Nice job well done.

12 minutes ago, Naidni said:

I see what you mean regarding the scale of the project.  Miniature stuff is more difficult for sure.

Well Done!! 

Truly an understatement.  Minuscule errors and design considerations are comparatively magnified and can easily ruin a piece that is miniaturized.  I am working on Version 4.0, hoping some of the changes I have made will make an improvement in the aesthetics.   Appreciate the compliment!

Also, meant to mention this is the first time I have made a purse from Alligator.  A different beast to work with altogether!  I didn't want any painted edges on this one, so had to learn to roll edges and line with fillers.  I think the Pellon I have is a bit thick for the purpose, same with the Bentex.  But it is what I had!

YinTx

Edited by YinTx

5 minutes ago, mike6642 said:

That’s the fun of It getting better with each one you make. I made many wallets till I was a little happy. Nice job well done.

True.  I just end up with a lot of prototypes and practice projects piled up on the shelf.  Appreciate the compliment!

YinTx

Cute idea and I like the colors.  What differences did you notice in working with the alligator leather?

34 minutes ago, Tugadude said:

Cute idea and I like the colors.  What differences did you notice in working with the alligator leather?

Appreciate it.  Skiving is a bit of a bear, rolled edges create crackles (in glazed alligator at least), stitching across scales can make the stitches look uneven, lining up scale patterns and avoiding any flaws without wasting significant amounts of the hide is a skill in itself, making bombe' is not easy (I failed I'd say), bends such as across the top of the little bag can make scale edges stand proud, and just deciding to cut into something as expensive as that takes some nerve.  I'm sure folks like @RockyAussie could elaborate on other challenges and if you want to see how to do it right, he's got it down to a science.

YinTx

I agree that Rocky Aussie has it down to a science.  I was just wondering what you learned and thanks for sharing that.

Nice looking work.  Perhaps you are being a tad to hard on yourself again?  I think it came put very well especially since it's so small

Ross

On 9/11/2020 at 2:31 PM, Rossr said:

Nice looking work.  Perhaps you are being a tad to hard on yourself again?  I think it came put very well especially since it's so small

Ross

Thanks, and I hid the ugly parts from y'all!  :blink:  I was almost happy with it, but the last line of stitching was so bad that it disqualified the thing from the sell pile.

17 hours ago, kiwican said:

Nice work Yin

Thank you!

YinTx