Markallheart

Help! New leather smells like fish!

Hi all. 

I was hoping maybe someone could give me some suggestions  I received a nice leather split to use for a project however upon opening the packaging the lest her smells strongly of fish.  It's a veg tan split if that makes any differenc. 

Does anyone first now why it might smell this way and secondly how I can go about removing or covering up this smell as no one will want an item that smells this way. 

Thanks 

Is it fish or a chemical or dye smell?  Just wondering because i recently bought a dyed veg tan shoulder that stunk.  I aired it out for two weeks but it still stunk and I sent it back. I bought it from a dealer in the southeast, how about you?

To me it smells fishy but I guess it could be a dye. Been assured that no fish oil is used in the tanning by the supplier. Perhaps it's just me and it needs airing out and will be fine. 

Ask a friend or coworker to take a sniff, see if they also think it is fishy. I really don't think leather should smell fishy, could it just be rancid?

Edited by Alaisiagae

Sedgwick's tends to have a fish odor.  I think they use some fish oil in the mix, apparently an old and very effective conditioner.

YinTx

45 minutes ago, YinTx said:

Sedgwick's tends to have a fish odor.  I think they use some fish oil in the mix, apparently an old and very effective conditioner.

YinTx

I have read that this is what gives leather that leather smell, but I am not sold on it entirely . I recently tried applying it( Cod liver oil) on both the grain and hide side of a finished piece in a very, very light coat using a rag. The piece indeed smelled like fish for a few days and has subsided, but I am calling BS on it giving it that leather smell or even being worth the conditioning given the stink from using so little of it. I can only image how much it would reek if a liberal application of it is applied to a hide. 

To the OP: I'd recommend airing the piece out for about a week or more to see if it subsides, if waiting that long is acceptable to you. If it doesn't , I'd ask for a refund from the vendor.

As its split you have no idea of what the replacement top layer is made of, I understand often a PU coating