Josh Ashman

Horizontal Shoulder Rig with Progress Pics

I just finished up this horizontal shoulder rig for a Ruger SR9. It's built out of 8 oz HO and dyed with a mix of Fiebings brown tones that were all dumped into ths same container some time ago (very scientific, I know :) ). finish process is my typical, NF oil then M&G cut 50/50 with water. I do oil the straps quite heavily while going very lightly on the holster and mag pouch. 

All the best, Josh

IMG_20200909_074614034.thumb.jpg.8a398fa929c86c6c14422e86350f30f4.jpgIMG_20200909_074356193.thumb.jpg.7ddb301d351ae270b084d83609549f0e.jpgIMG_20200909_074129721.thumb.jpg.62c626b318602462d21a589f1cb77681.jpgIMG_20200908_065632980.thumb.jpg.e3d46c7120a35398e195fd5f80c9abea.jpgIMG_20200904_083104049.thumb.jpg.f5a396b29f280f90807c1b242a57cff9.jpgIMG_20200902_080335360.thumb.jpg.d34520db5ac5d40434a3245e57673478.jpg

That looks REALLY good!  Thanks for taking the time to post it and provide some pics from along the way.  

Nice job I really like the color. 

Looks great.  So far I've only done vertical shoulder holsters.  

Do you have any issue with the 8oz getting squeaky?  I went to 5 oz straps and they have been much quieter.  

nice

On 9/11/2020 at 3:17 PM, chiefjason said:

Looks great.  So far I've only done vertical shoulder holsters.  

Do you have any issue with the 8oz getting squeaky?  I went to 5 oz straps and they have been much quieter.  

Thanks Chief! I oil the straps pretty heavy and haven't had any issues once reported back. The only similar rig I've built for myself is out of horse and it hasn't done any squeaking either. Not sure how different the cow would be. 

Thank you too ScoutMom! 

Have a great day everybody! 

Hi Josh

Beautiful work as always, i always struggle with the finish on my projects, i use Tan Kote, you said you use M&G cut 50/50 with water, is that a finish?

Forester

2 hours ago, Forester said:

Hi Josh

Beautiful work as always, i always struggle with the finish on my projects, i use Tan Kote, you said you use M&G cut 50/50 with water, is that a finish?

Forester

Thanks Forester! It's a "homemade" finish. I'm not sure if they sell it in the UK or if it's the same formula that they sell here, but it's just Mop & Glo floor finish mixed approximately half and half with water. I mix it together in a large container (empty ice cream bucket) and mostly I'll dunk a piece in and then shake off the excess. I also try to spread out, or wipe off any drips when I initially remove the piece from the bucket of finish. Once it's dry I'll usually wipe a little glycerin saddle soap or for something I want to be "stiff" Kiwi neutral boot polish on it to make he item smell like "leather" and not a clean kitchen floor.  On some large items I'll use a scrap of shearling and wipe it on. Being cut with water it isn't too hard to get a streak free finish but dunking is easier and gets the finish everywhere. I've tried Tan Kote, Resolene, Leather Balm and assorted other finishes with mixed results but always go back to the Mop and Glo mix. It's cheap, readily available and it works for me. 

All the best, Josh

Agree with Josh - Mop & Glo or Pledge for finish cut 50/50 with distilled water is a great finish!

Thanks Josh

Yet again something not available in the UK, will struggle on with Tan Kote!

Forester

Forester, it's not available here in Oz either but after looking at the MSDS for various floor finishes I found one here that appears to be the same (or close enough). I've also used it as a spray finish on plastic model kits and it works well! I'm sure there will be something available over there, you could also look at modelling forums to see what they use.

Maybe just look for an acrylic floor polish - someone must sell this type product outside the USA.

6 hours ago, Forester said:

Yet again something not available in the UK, will struggle on with Tan Kote!

'Astonish' is available in most Home Bargains shops. About £1 for 750ml. Its a water thin acrylic varnish meant for floors. Its exactly the same as 'K;ear', Future' and 'Pledge with Future shine', only a lot cheaper. I use it as sealer on leather now as well as a varnish on a lot of hobby/craft items

The finish is as nice as any I have seen.   I have been trying to find a perfect finish for my holsters and this looks like the perfect solution.   I have been for a couple of months been using a water based polystyrene to seal the goods and it’s OK but stiffens the parts of the project I don’t want to be stiff at all.  I am wondering though, and will try to dye some leather before dipping it in your wonderful homemade solution.   Have you any tips on that you could pass on.  Again that shoulder holster system is very easy to look at.  Can’t wait to try it. 

On 9/25/2020 at 10:00 AM, Josh Ashman said:

...it's just Mop & Glo floor finish mixed approximately half and half with water. I mix it together in a large container (empty ice cream bucket) and mostly I'll dunk a piece in and then shake off the excess. I also try to spread out, or wipe off any drips when I initially remove the piece from the bucket of finish. Once it's dry I'll usually wipe a little glycerin saddle soap or for something I want to be "stiff" Kiwi neutral boot polish on it to make the item smell like "leather" and not a clean kitchen floor.  On some large items I'll use a scrap of shearling and wipe it on. Being cut with water it isn't too hard to get a streak free finish but dunking is easier and gets the finish everywhere. I've tried Tan Kote, Resolene, Leather Balm and assorted other finishes with mixed results but always go back to the Mop and Glo mix. It's cheap, readily available and it works for me. 

That's good to know...that this mix can store well enough in large quantities for dipping. Do you have problems with "skimming"...developing a film over the top in that container?

I have a old glass spaghetti sauce jar that I keep leftover 50/50 resolene mix in (where I've mixed up a small amount for natural saddle tan or dark brown, etc)...this combined mix only gets used on darker projects like deep browns or black (I don't want to risk contaminating a lighter colored item that I've worked on). I'll pour a little bit out and use it, either with shearing or brush.

Still working thru my current stock of resolene...then I'll "graduate" on to M&G.  Thanks for the tips!

Hey Chris, sometimes when I dip an item a little of the dye will come off and "muddy" up the mix. Key word being "little". I haven't had enough come off to concern me. that said, sadly my bar for light colors is not high as I always seem to mess them up :). so much so, that if I want "tan" I'll leave it in  the sun and skip dye as I always get blotchy results. I also always use the same product and process, so not a big surprise. 

Hope you're doing well! All the best,

Josh

7 hours ago, Radardog said:

The finish is as nice as any I have seen.   I have been trying to find a perfect finish for my holsters and this looks like the perfect solution.   I have been for a couple of months been using a water based polystyrene to seal the goods and it’s OK but stiffens the parts of the project I don’t want to be stiff at all.  I am wondering though, and will try to dye some leather before dipping it in your wonderful homemade solution.   Have you any tips on that you could pass on.  Again that shoulder holster system is very easy to look at.  Can’t wait to try it. 

Thanks Radardog! I appreciate your kind words! the mix I use will stiffen things up a bit initially, but the item will flex and move and "loosen" up. At least that's my experience with belts and similar items. Holsters that were molded and "stiff" when they were finished remain stiff after being finished. One really nice thing about M&G mixed with water is that it's cheap and readily available (in the US). I encourage anyone interested in it to get some and try it. If it works for you, great! If not, you're not out much and you can use the Mop and Glo on the floor. 

Have a great Friday!

Josh 

On 10/2/2020 at 12:31 PM, Josh Ashman said:

Hey Chris, sometimes when I dip an item a little of the dye will come off and "muddy" up the mix. Key word being "little". I haven't had enough come off to concern me. that said, sadly my bar for light colors is not high as I always seem to mess them up :). so much so, that if I want "tan" I'll leave it in  the sun and skip dye as I always get blotchy results. I also always use the same product and process, so not a big surprise. 

Hope you're doing well! All the best,

Josh

Dip dye your leather to avoid the blotches. Works like a champ

On 10/17/2020 at 1:16 PM, TomG said:

Dip dye your leather to avoid the blotches. Works like a champ

Thanks Tom! I'm so bad at light tans that they often come out blotchy even when I dip dye. It's a super talent, but sadly not a good one :)

Great job, as usual!!!!

That is a really nice rig @Josh Ashman. All your edges look on point making for a comfortable set. As the others have said, that unscientific mix of colors looks really nice!