DirtyDusty

Rust prevention

What’s your favorite rust preventative for tools on your bench. Made a sheath for my new round knife, let it dry for a couple of weeks before I put it in, but it still rusted in a couple of spots. I was using ballistol oil on it. 

I use whatever is handy.  3in1 oil or anything that's similar.  Just wipe on and wipe off.  If you want to be fancy, use camilla oil.  I've been a tool-user forty years and it has never failed me.

I just coat them with some thin oil and wipe them clean. But if your tools rust depends on the relative humidity in your "shop"

I use Ballistol when I worry about rust. Website.

Edited by Alaisiagae

Might not apply to your application, but I use Renaissance wax on tools.

"Renaissance Wax is a brand of microcrystalline wax polish used in antique restoration and museum conservation around the world. Commonly used to polish and conserve metal objects, ...."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renaissance_Wax

4 hours ago, Tejas said:

Might not apply to your application, but I use Renaissance wax on tools.

"Renaissance Wax is a brand of microcrystalline wax polish used in antique restoration and museum conservation around the world. Commonly used to polish and conserve metal objects, ...."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renaissance_Wax

I just had an unpleasant experience with Renaissance wax. About a year ago I started using it to protect some guns and knives that i have displayed on my wall. Last week I noticed that the barrels of a black powder rifle and pistol had started to rust. I had to sand down both barrels and re-blue them. From now on I'll be using "Break Free CLP" or even WD40. I never had rust issues in all the years I've used those. The only reason I even tried the Renaissance wax was to avoid getting oil on my hands and making fingerprints while handling them to show them off. Your millage may vary but I personally wouldn't trust it again. Sounds like Ballistol  might also be a good alternative. I may give that a try.

I deal with a lot of rusty tools. Two things I deal with after cleaning up are either flash rust right away or rusting during storage. Used tools rarely rust for me. MY volume of tools is probably different than anyone here so I am looking at some of these products from a different viewpoint. I've used a lot of products - the vapor barrier things for drawers, Boeschield, Glidecoat, waxes, Flitz, several oils, and more ive forgotten. Some oils will darken the metal over time, some not as much. Some get gummy, some are light. Ballistol is a nice oil for me. Some of the stainless steel polishes seem to work well  and change the color less.  Boeschield is good but expensive and a bit fragile. Scratches in the surface will rust. Glidecoat works OK but messy. Flitz is good for a final polish and gives me about 6 months rust protection. I've used a few waxes and OK but not my #1. I really want to like Renaissance Wax. I think it is a good product but takes a lot of work. In my little unscientific test on raw barstock. It took around 5 coats to be protective for metal. I like it on wood and a few coats on a handle gives a nice finish.  My bottom line is either Flitz or stainless steel polish on the metal. Tools with no moving parts like edgers and the like get Flitz, Tools with moving parts like stitch markers or pliers get stainless steel polish. Always subject to change if I find something more effective, cant get much simpler than what I'm doing now.