Sheilajeanne

Question About Grommets

I need to put some grommets into a nylon canopy. Anyone know if the grommets used in leather work are different from the ones meant for fabric? I've asked several leather workers, and none of them could tell me.

36 minutes ago, Sheilajeanne said:

I need to put some grommets into a nylon canopy. Anyone know if the grommets used in leather work are different from the ones meant for fabric? I've asked several leather workers, and none of them could tell me.

No difference except price. When I started leather work I got my sail grommets - the ones with washers - from a sail maker. Then I found Le Prevo and bought from them. On a couple of occasions their grommets came in packs with the same name on as the ones bought from the sail maker

Thanks, Fred! I was thinking they might be like rivets, with different sizes for different thicknesses of material.

2 things you need to watch out for

1. some makes tell the size by the centre hole, others by the diameter of then outer ring, thus 6 mm from two different makers, one will have a 6 mm centre hole, the other is 6 mm overall with a 3 mm hole.

2. The larger you go the thicker the leather you can go through. Small sizes for very thin leather. I wanted to go through 4 mm leather and had to use 10 mm (centre hole) rather than the 6 mm I really wanted to use.

I'm sure I will use the leftover grommets for leather working at some point, but right now, they are going in a nylon canopy for my gazebo!  :dunno:

I will be careful with the measuring, to make sure they fit.

Edited by Sheilajeanne