Woodshed

Greetings from northern Alabama

So, in January I was just going to make a few sheaths for some of my edge tools. Just a few and I'd be done. Hah! As someone who likes using my hands, I just cant stop playing with leather. There is so much to do and learn it's an adventure. When I found this forum (quite accidentally) I soon realized that there are thousands of years of cumulative leather crafting experience here. Thanks for letting me join and I look forward to visiting, learning and posting some pics, etc.

Welcome @Woodshed! I'm from right up the road in Huntsvegas. There are so many good pieces of info and instruction on here you could probably stay busy applying what you learn here for a thousand years or so too.

I'm restoring an old Plumb hewing hatchet atm. After re-profiling the bit and making it chisel sharp, it had to be made safe;  leading to this fun little project...

20200912_103254.thumb.jpg.94e92260760b5f94d40d2122f8330ccc.jpg

Edited by Woodshed
fix text wrapped around image

Greetings, I'm also new to the hobby and look forward to learning all I can. Good to see some Alabama (I'm in Madison) people on here look forward to seeing your projects.

Welcome @BIGSIZZLE!

My first year of leatherworking has ended. I don't know how much money I've spent, but it could always be more! :rolleyes:

One thing for sure, I really enjoy it, and glad I decided to make a few sheaths for my edge tools. My first leather items were functional but poorly crafted, and are gradually being replaced by items which benefit from lessons learned so far. I never knew how much I didn't know about craftsmanship until I started trying to make stuff. The learning never ends. The need for tools never ends either!

Anyway, Happy New Year y'all!

Cheers!

6 hours ago, battlemunky said:

Cheers!

Aye! A round to us all, and good health!

Here is another axe sheath project I'm looking forward to. it's an early 1880s blacksmith made broad axe, and man was it was a beat up mess. Now that it's spiffied up, re-handled, and the 12 inch edge is razor sharp and ready for action, it needs a sheath. Should be a fun project. Definitely one for thick leather; it's heavy.

20210101_221638.jpg

On 12/31/2020 at 11:13 PM, Woodshed said:

My first leather items were functional but poorly crafted, and are gradually being replaced by items which benefit from lessons learned so far. I never knew how much I didn't know about craftsmanship until I started trying to make stuff.

Man is that ever true! :16:

That’s quite the axe, looking forward to seeing the sheath for it.

On 1/2/2021 at 4:29 AM, Retswerb said:

Man is that ever true! :16:

That’s quite the axe, looking forward to seeing the sheath for it.

It may be awhile. The geometry of the handle creates unique factors that need to be taken into account. It will take me some time to sort it out for ergonomics/functionality. So far I've got the blade traced accurately on a board and not much more.

20210106_124432.jpg

20210106_124332.jpg

Edited by Woodshed
add pics to show cank in handle

This is super cool, man.

1 hour ago, battlemunky said:

This is super cool, man.

The axe is ready to use waiting for me to get a suitable log to square up. I want to make a couple of primitive style park benches from native black locust.  That will be really cool with me, to make a couple of nice benches with no material cost!

There is there is currently a cornucopia of projects in the Show Off!! Forum that are awesome that I just look at and go wow. Just by looking with my eyes I learn something every time I come here. Thanks!

Hi everybody! I'm in Huntsville here as well.. I have been been lurking off and on for a long time and figured I might as well say hello. 

I've only been playing at leather working for about a year as I have time. I've made a couple of items I thought looked ok, several pieces of crap, but I'm learning! 

Woodshed I love that axe handle!  Nice job!

Hi nomatic! That makes at least 4 of us in the Huntsville area. That's almost enough for a convention! Nice! I'm about a year into it as well. It all started with the need for a sheath. The first thought I had after I finished the sheath was "it'll do for now but surely I can do better than that!" I'm still trying!  :rolleyes:

Edited by Woodshed

And BIGSIZZLE!  I just read your post which I somehow missed until now. Madison is just as close as Huntsville and I go there regularly, although with all the road work and traffic on I565 not as often as before. But this place is growing like crazy and I565 needs more lanes. I'm glad its getting them.

nomatic, I never expected to carve any axe handle in this life, much less a canked one. I have no explanation other than about 2 years ago a guy gave me an antique spoke shave that I used to make an axe using an old axe head. I enjoyed it. That's lead to getting more hatchet and axe heads to refurb. By the time the broad axe head showed up, it was one of those challenges that look fun. So I built a shave horse and went at it!

I’m just across the line in Tennessee.

20 minutes ago, 327fed said:

I’m just across the line in Tennessee.

Good morning 327fed! That's some pretty land up there in south central Tennessee.  The land gets more photogenic as soon as you cross the state line. I once had about 22 acres in the Taft area. My plans for the property never materialized so it got sold, but it was really nice and I often regret selling.

After COVID gets figured out we may have to get a guild together...

6 minutes ago, battlemunky said:

After COVID gets figured out we may have to get a guild together...

I second the motion...

I need all the help I can get. 

2 hours ago, 327fed said:

I need all the help I can get. 

While not being an expert or an experienced leather crafter, this past year has been one of learning by hands-on doing. I may be able to help in the few areas that have caused me the most difficulty. I've scratched the surface a little in the following areas of the leather work processes: pattern making, accurately cutting parts from leather, decoration, stitching, edging and very basic finishing. Only small stuff that I can hand stitch without a clamp so far (got one on the way). And pretty much only thicker leather. I still need to learn how to handle thin leather during processing in a way that maintains its dimensional accuracy. Gonna be going there soon.

I'm no expert but I've been at it for a few years now and can help with most things and know what good looks like. Still working on refining my own work so that I can nail good 100% of the time and work on perfecting some things.

Edited by battlemunky

Mostly I need some project time as I am working full time plus. Probably get one leather project out a month. 

I've had a dry spell on leatherwork. Primarily because of a knee replacement. The second knee gets replaced next week so really I'm looking at mid-December before diving in again. I'm losing weight (deliberately) to lighten the load on my new knee, soon to be knees. My waist is down two sizes so I made my first belt a couple weeks ago, to go with a silver buckle gifted me sometime about 1971, before I joined the Navy. It's made from a single layer of 13 oz veg tan. It came out better than I thought it would and best of all it fits!

20211026_222034.jpg