Treesner

tactical bag manufacturer / sewer

Hi guys I was wondering if anyone had any experience with bag manufacturering? I'm trying to outsource asmall tactical pouch made (nylon not leather) but dont know where to start. if anyone has any leads or experience that would be really helpful 

welcome,

CHINA.

stuff like that is all in CHINA.

unless you want to try to find a local mfg/assembler.  

What you may want to do first is to have a prototype built or modeled up so you can show someone a model or the real McCoy.  

if you have any fabric shops in your area, i would also go there and get some material swatches or look for "Outdoor" fabrics.  there is a place up in seattle called "seattle fabrics".  I will let you do your research on them.  but you can order some swatches if you want.  

also, if you go to those local shops, look for a "for sale" board or sometimes similar. You may find people wanting to to sew or have things sewed.  

and then you dont say if you want 1 off units or billions. 

i dont have anyone that i used, but you can try googling or google for local mfg/assemblers and see what happens.

last comment.  you may want to look for a "Thomas Register" the last time i saw one was at my 1st job but they are books at that time with registered mfg of various things. Its sort of like a yellow pages of mfg.  There was a whole series of them that took up a couple shelves.  you maybe able to find them online.  

i would also use your google-fu and google for mfg/assemblers.

fwiw, i make my own bags.  But they are 1 off units and are specific for my needs at that time.

something else you want to consider.  Is your intellectual property rights.  If you outsource, you can more or less kiss your idea goodbye and if it becomes popular (whatever that is to make $$ in someone eyes) then your idea maybe made by someone else.  So just be aware of what you do and what you expect.  

If you want, you can also contact any bag mfg or a mfg of "tactical" gear and see what they say.  You may not get anything from it other than to see your idea being sold by someone else, but it will depend on your endgame.

good luck

Edited by $$hobby

Call Dana Gleason as Mystery Ranch, Bozeman, MT.  Best in the west and everywhere else.

wondering why nowadays everything is "tactical"... tactical boots, tactical jackets, tactical holsters, tactical bags, tactical hats... tactical toilet paper (don´t believe it - google it :lol:) tactical hankies...  What tactics is someone following when he needs specific "tactical" things?

Maybe a range bag is what you are looking for - you´ll find dozens of variants (some even tactical - if needed). Or look up MOLLE equipment, there something for everything in the MOLLE range.

There are forums for people who sew their own "tactical" equipment for soft air, zombie hunting, survival / prepping or even for "real military" purposes. Maybe someone there can sew your idea.

Edited by Constabulary

18 minutes ago, Constabulary said:

wondering why nowadays everything is "tactical"... tactical boots, tactical jackets, tactical holsters, tactical bags, tactical hats... tactical toilet paper (don´t believe it - google it :lol:) tactical hankies...  What tactics is someone following when he needs specific "tactical" things?

Maybe a range bag is what you are looking for - you´ll find dozens of variants (some even tactical - if needed). Or look up MOLLE equipment, there something for everything in the MOLLE range.

There are forums for people who sew their own "tactical" equipment for soft air, zombie hunting, survival / prepping or even for "real military" purposes. Maybe someone there can sew your idea.

Was that a tactical post?

4 hours ago, Constabulary said:

Same reason titanium was used to market everything from golf balls to cookware.  Now it seems to be copper.  Copper is added to everything it seems.  I waiting for the tactical toilet paper infused with copper.  Maybe it will come on a titanium core?

On 9/13/2020 at 10:07 PM, $$hobby said:

welcome,

CHINA.

stuff like that is all in CHINA.

unless you want to try to find a local mfg/assembler.  

What you may want to do first is to have a prototype built or modeled up so you can show someone a model or the real McCoy.  

if you have any fabric shops in your area, i would also go there and get some material swatches or look for "Outdoor" fabrics.  there is a place up in seattle called "seattle fabrics".  I will let you do your research on them.  but you can order some swatches if you want.  

also, if you go to those local shops, look for a "for sale" board or sometimes similar. You may find people wanting to to sew or have things sewed.  

and then you dont say if you want 1 off units or billions. 

i dont have anyone that i used, but you can try googling or google for local mfg/assemblers and see what happens.

last comment.  you may want to look for a "Thomas Register" the last time i saw one was at my 1st job but they are books at that time with registered mfg of various things. Its sort of like a yellow pages of mfg.  There was a whole series of them that took up a couple shelves.  you maybe able to find them online.  

i would also use your google-fu and google for mfg/assemblers.

fwiw, i make my own bags.  But they are 1 off units and are specific for my needs at that time.

something else you want to consider.  Is your intellectual property rights.  If you outsource, you can more or less kiss your idea goodbye and if it becomes popular (whatever that is to make $$ in someone eyes) then your idea maybe made by someone else.  So just be aware of what you do and what you expect.  

If you want, you can also contact any bag mfg or a mfg of "tactical" gear and see what they say.  You may not get anything from it other than to see your idea being sold by someone else, but it will depend on your endgame.

good luck

thank you, I just hear so many bad things about working with people in china where they just try to rip you off and get your money. On alibaba theres a bunch of trading companies pretending to be manufacturers and hard to distinguish one over the other.  I was hoping to find someone who has first hand experience with some kind of manufacturing company to help 

For this particular bag I have one made and it's pretty basic, I'm not to worried about the product getting ripped off its more so I dont want get a shipment of poorly made ones or not made at all 

3 hours ago, Treesner said:

thank you, I just hear so many bad things about working with people in china where they just try to rip you off and get your money. On alibaba theres a bunch of trading companies pretending to be manufacturers and hard to distinguish one over the other.  I was hoping to find someone who has first hand experience with some kind of manufacturing company to help 

For this particular bag I have one made and it's pretty basic, I'm not to worried about the product getting ripped off its more so I dont want get a shipment of poorly made ones or not made at all 

Sorry, i dont have first hand experience.  I delt with others and have people approach me to make more than 1 item.

I think you will be better off looking for someone in the USA so there isnt any duties/customs issues.  You will pay more for local talent (less profit for you) so that maybe an issue?

I was making some custom brow bands. one off units and someone else approached me to make millions.  at the time i was 1 man show with a 9 to 5 job, so making millions wasnt going to happen.  Im not sure who the person when to but i mentioned CHINA anyway since alot of tack is sewed (made?) there.  I believed that person was able to find someone to do the work but lost contact with that person after they got what they wanted from me.

You can contact the person given in the other post and see what they say.    If you want more than 1 off, then you are going to have to deal with that and all the issues, suppliers and so forth.   Dont forget chances are you will not be their only customer so you will have to play by their rules and timeline/schedule.

If you are gung ho, you can start your own business.  Im not that driven and is why i work 9 to 5, but i also dont take my work or headaches home with me.  Work to live, not live to work so to speak.  You can look/find some local people that sew and if you are lucky, they will have their own machines and go from there.  I think there are people out there that do things like this and have a network of people to get it from "drawing board" to "reality" but i forget the details.

personally i think you are in for some fun.

good luck.

i just googled for some sewing prototype services..... here are some links.  But i will let you contact them if you want and maybe they can help or direct you to what you need/want.  

note that i have NOT used any of them.   I know you want some guarantees but sometimes you will need to test the waters yourself.   Before you do anything, i would sit down and have some questions jotted down so you can ask them and be prepared.   Shop rate/costs?  cost for prototype(S) and how much for 1 or 100000? who provides what, such as materials?  who owns the intellectual/property rights such as pattens?  any Non disclosure agreement?  any non compete agreement?   how much up front if any and so forth.   good luck...

https://www.wcsewco.com/services

https://www.bagproducts.com/prototypes/

http://www.protosew.com

https://designlinesgear.com

again, i have not done what you want or used any of the above, but ive worked for mom & pop shops that made custom automation equipment and you pickup some thing when discussing things in meetings with teh customers.

Also, if i were to do what you think you want to do, this is how i would start.  Eventually you will to get on that horse and ride - or not.   Its just the nature of the beast.   

some personal comments/hints..

> KNOW WHAT YOU WANT !!!!.   I mean that because no mfg wants a customer that wants to change horses mid stream.  you may get away with it 1 time, but keep on doing it and watch your cost go way up.  

> ask (alot) of questions.  If you have ANY question ask.  And dont walk away until you have that question answered TO YOUR SATISFACTION!

> since you will have a prototype, use that as your jump off point.  make sure everyone knows its YOURs and your prototype.   If you want changes on it, mark it up somehow.  Maybe apply some masking tape and write on it with an "arrow - triple stitch here" for example.   OR take a photo of each side and the inside and mark up the photos.  Dont do the hand waving thing where someone can interpret your ideas - wrong.

> if you know the specs of the material such as Cordura 1000 not 500, then i would specify it.  Specify everything you can so that there is no question of what you want material wise.  If you have any Velcro on your bag, you may want to note there are various grades of velcro.  You can get some cheap stuff where it may only last so many cycles.  Every have any velcro on something where the fuzzy gives out after so many uses?  well, you may have control over that. 

> there are other things too, but you may have some OTJ learning.  

good luck and have fun.

On 9/11/2020 at 12:35 PM, Treesner said:

Hi guys I was wondering if anyone had any experience with bag manufacturering? I'm trying to outsource asmall tactical pouch made (nylon not leather) but dont know where to start. if anyone has any leads or experience that would be really helpful 

There are many U.S.A. folks that can helpw tih mylon, like me, so if you are still looking, i an new, and not sure how old this is, i'll take thetime and post some links to other tactical tailor types.

don't listen to pessimism. 

here are a few. and folks like milspec monkey, he has resources for you too. that's how I started. am starting, i do prototypes for a lot of local guys, one offs, so for a guy like me, as long as you pay for the right materials, have your drawings and cash for the time, it's pretty straight forward.

https://www.wtfidea.com/oem-odm-contract/

https://overlandtailor.com/about-us

https://www.tacticaltailor.com/contact-us.aspx