Sign in to follow this  
rgerbitz

Dark Oil

Hello Folks,

What are some methods you all use when making a dark oil saddle to achieve the shade of color you are going for?

Thank you,

Rob

This method works best in the summer but I like to wash the parts with a solution of oxalic acid then place it in full sunlight to dry. While the leather is still warm oil with a good even coat of your favorite oil then a second good coat. Place back in sunlight for a little while if you want it a bit darker also helps even things out. Don't overdo the  sunlight usually about an hour is adequate to begin with. Try this on a smaller project to achieve the shade you like before doing a complete saddle. 

A second method is to use warm neatsfoot oil applied liberally but be careful it's real easy to blotch. 

Time and sunlight will continue to darken saddles if you want it or not.  I've found that the oil & sun method detailed above by JHayek works even better if you use olive oil.  Regardless of the oil used, it may not darken as much as you want.  For darker color you can add an oil soluble dye to neatsfoot or olive oil.  I think I've purchased mine from Weaver.  When using oil/dye mixture, start out easy and don't use any dye with the initial oiling or it's likely to be uneven.  Another option is to use dyed skirting.  I use Herman and Wicket and both offer a variety of colors and shades.  The downside to going this route is that you have a whole lot of scraps of various colors that are hard to utilize.

To minimize uneven oil and the blotchy appearance, I like to oil before the saddle completely dries after washing/cleaning and is still fairly moist.  The moist leather won't suck up the oil as aggressively upon contact.  It will penetrate but more slowly as the moisture evaporates.  Prevents over-oiling as well. 

Unless I've been lucky enough to keep the saddle parts pristine, I too like to use a weak solution of oxalic acid to spruce it up before oiling.  Works wonders.

Much appreciated gentlemen.