Wykoni

Wax finish

Has anyone tried using a wax finish to your vegetable tanned leather project.  I am thinking of oiling the leather and once tried using some form of soft wax finish.  Like maybe wood finish wax.  I know it will soften the leather and in some cases that’s not a bad deal.

I use a concoction of 50 % by weight . . . pure bees wax and 50% by weight . . . neats foot oil.  Not the compound . . . the real OIL.

I put it in a jar . . . suspend the jar in a pan of hot water . . . it melts the beeswax . . . they get melded together . . . 

Rub it on the leather . . . polish . . . you'll like it.  It's a 100+ yr old recipe . . . add more oil if you want it a bit softer.  I've made and use both.

May God bless,

Dwight

2 hours ago, Dwight said:

I use a concoction of 50 % by weight . . . pure bees wax and 50% by weight . . . neats foot oil.  Not the compound . . . the real OIL.

I put it in a jar . . . suspend the jar in a pan of hot water . . . it melts the beeswax . . . they get melded together . . . 

Rub it on the leather . . . polish . . . you'll like it.  It's a 100+ yr old recipe . . . add more oil if you want it a bit softer.  I've made and use both.

May God bless,

Dwight

Got some of both, thanks

11 hours ago, Dwight said:

May God bless,

Dwight

I've been using @Dwight's recipe for some time now, and love it.  If I want it a little softer, I put in a little more NFO, and if I want it a little firmer I put in a little more wax.   I also add just a few drops of Eucalyptus or Tea Tree Oil just for the scent.  Most of the time, I pour it into foil cupcake cups to let it cool into a cake.  Other times, I pour into "lipstick" containers that I got from eBay, and give a tube away with the things I make.

- Bill

13 hours ago, Dwight said:

May God bless,

Dwight

I use this recipe too with 60% percent of neast foot oil,it's the best for me.

14 hours ago, Wykoni said:

Has anyone tried using a wax finish to your vegetable tanned leather project.  I am thinking of oiling the leather and once tried using some form of soft wax finish.  Like maybe wood finish wax.  I know it will soften the leather and in some cases that’s not a bad deal.

I use an all natural  wax based conditioner/finish that I make myself for my projects. I posted a step by step recipe , along with ratios , etc on how to make it  that will work with pretty much all the common ingredients used/found in leather working products. You can tinker around with it or just follow the recipe as is.

Here is the link: 

web size IMG_8729-2.JPG

Thanks all, tried 50/50 but felt it was too firm so added more oil turning it into a paste.  I preferred it that way.

30 minutes ago, Wykoni said:

Thanks all, tried 50/50 but felt it was too firm so added more oil turning it into a paste.  I preferred it that way.

Follow the ratios in the recipe and you'll get to an end product to your liking quicker. A 1:2 ratio ( 1 wax, 2 oil) will get you to  a semi firm product. If you go 1:3 you will have a very soft butter. The more oil you add to the ratio, the softer it will continue to get but after about 1:5 ratio it's usually too soft and melts very quickly to the touch.