Aaaron

Alternatives for Lining

Hey fellow crafters! I recently made a leather ipad sleeve and the flesh side of the leather makes it difficult to remove from the sleeve itself. Do you just leave it as it is to season the sleeve after multiple times of "ins and outs" or would you use lining? And if lining is used, what material do you use?  Thank you in advance!

1. leave it as it is and it'll wear smoother through use

2. a nice slick lining is glazed pig skin  https://tandyleather.world/products/glazed-pig-lining?_pos=1&_sid=c3c46daab&_ss=r

or this https://tandyleather.world/collections/leather/products/economy-mission-grain-lining

Another option is to treat the interior with Tan Kote or Gum Tragacanth and burnish it with a glass slicker of a bone folder.  Time will smooth the interior out, but this speeds up the process.

P.S. Some use a mixture of 50% beeswax and 50% Neatsfoot Oil, but I have no experience with it.  It has to be mixed on a stove I think.  Use extreme caution if doing so!

6 minutes ago, Tugadude said:

Another option is to treat the interior with Tan Kote or Gum Tragacanth and burnish it with a glass slicker of a bone folder.  Time will smooth the interior out, but this speeds up the process.

P.S. Some use a mixture of 50% beeswax and 50% Neatsfoot Oil, but I have no experience with it.  It has to be mixed on a stove I think.  Use extreme caution if doing so!

I would highly not recommend either of those

Unfortunately, I have experienced that the funny rubbery plastic used on mobile phones, ipad etc can get stained by these. I had to replace two phone covers because of this. Fortunately one was mine, t'other was my dottir's  and not customer's

50 minutes ago, Tugadude said:

it's as i do: 2 first pic:  https://tradisign.blogspot.com/2020/09/a5-notebook-folder-in-progress.html

Edited by paloma

Leave it alone and see what happens.  May not be much you can do if it's sewn together.  Burnish with Tokonole.

12 minutes ago, mike02130 said:

Leave it alone and see what happens.  May not be much you can do if it's sewn together.  Burnish with Tokonole.

don't agree with you at all, I always do it this way and I always get excellent results and my clients are delighted.

afterwards, everyone is free to take the advice into account or not

Edited by paloma

1 hour ago, paloma said:

don't agree with you at all, I always do it this way and I always get excellent results and my clients are delighted.

Huh?  You don't agree yet you do it that way with excellent results?  Do you even know what Tokonole is?

I don't need it, because I get perfect results as I expect them with the product I have.

1 hour ago, paloma said:

I don't need it, because I get perfect results as I expect them with the product I have.

Guy, walk it off?  What are you arguing about? Why so defensive and in attack mode?  I never said you needed it nor did I even mention you.   If you haven't used it then you can not say anything about it.  If you are satisfied with your results, so be it.  Tokonole is a better product than gum trag.  Try it them merci me.  

@mike02130, English isn’t @paloma’s first language. Read with some grace for that and you’ll see that what came across as brusque I don’t think was intended that way. He’s saying that he doesn’t need Tokonole because he’s happy with the method he already chimed in on, burnishing with gum trag and a glass slicker.

Edited by Retswerb
Wording

8 minutes ago, Retswerb said:

@mike02130, English isn’t @paloma’s first language. Read with some grace for that and you’ll see that what came across as brusque I don’t think was intended that way. He’s saying that he doesn’t need Tokonole because he’s happy with the method he already chimed in on, burnishing with gum trag and a glass slicker.

Agreed.  If you click on the link provided, you will see it is not in English.  You will also see that he is burnishing with gum trag, and thus you could deduce he was agreeing with that method, as opposed to just leaving it to burnish itself over time.  @paloma has some great work, and has been trying to share his experience with us.  Sadly, some does get lost in the translation, which is frustrating for him as well.  Please be a bit more forgiving so that we can all learn from his efforts!

YinTx

15 hours ago, mike02130 said:

Guy, walk it off?  What are you arguing about? Why so defensive and in attack mode?  I never said you needed it nor did I even mention you.   If you haven't used it then you can not say anything about it.  If you are satisfied with your results, so be it.  Tokonole is a better product than gum trag.  Try it them merci me.  

forgive me if I misinterpreted your message but I thought you were talking to me.;)