Sign in to follow this  
Vavich

Off to a good start, I think :)

I decided to take up leather working after being stuck at home for the pandemic and enjoy it even more than I thought I would.

I've done some basic pieces and have learned something new on every single one about different ways to do things (and things to avoid).

The majority of what I know at this point I learned from reading, reading, reading, tons of your posts - thank y'all for sharing methods and techniques. You're awesome :)

Here's what I've managed to do since I started... Bifold wallet, guitar pick long wallet (own design), and a purse/belt pouch.

104210646_3622961384380704_7746634536601403827_n.jpg

109934814_3724426790900829_4225532959794520221_n.jpg

118243341_3854013161275524_6371289307885691534_n.jpg

117963622_3856663574343816_6306849327936259762_n.jpg

Hey, those are looking pretty good for beginning work! 
This place is a great forum to learn the craft, right?

1 hour ago, DJole said:

Hey, those are looking pretty good for beginning work! 
This place is a great forum to learn the craft, right?

Thanks!
And seriously, this place is awesome - the best collection of openly shared information (and supportive/active community) on the craft I have found to date.

I've been reading through all the sewing machine info for the last week because I'm going to need something to speed up my process on larger items. I'm likely going to end up specializing in book/messenger/backpack style bags due to demand from friends/family but my hands and fingers have already made it clear they have no intention of cooperating with hours on end of manual stitching - I learned that saddle stitching both sides of an 18" zipper lol...

9 hours ago, Vavich said:

Thanks!
And seriously, this place is awesome - the best collection of openly shared information (and supportive/active community) on the craft I have found to date.

I've been reading through all the sewing machine info for the last week because I'm going to need something to speed up my process on larger items. I'm likely going to end up specializing in book/messenger/backpack style bags due to demand from friends/family but my hands and fingers have already made it clear they have no intention of cooperating with hours on end of manual stitching - I learned that saddle stitching both sides of an 18" zipper lol...

Nothing like experience (and sore fingers) to learn about stitching! 
There are a great number of helpful sewing machine experts here, as you have probably noticed by now. I am always impressed by their depth of knowledge and willingness to share it. 

Couple of comments.  First, welcome to the forum and your first efforts are so much better than mine, there is no comparison.  You are off to a good start.  What I've found is leather work is like anything else, the better you get the more you realize how much you need to improve.  What was once acceptable to your eyes suddenly becomes an eyesore and is headed to the bin.  The process of refinement, improving every little detail is what makes work stand out.  There are many on this site that pay that sort of attention to detail and when you look at their work it just shines.  It really is remarkable.  The thing is all of us can improve.  We might never reach the level of some workers, but we can improve nonetheless.  

Regarding stitching, that is something that gets easier with practice.  And your fingers will adapt.  If you aren't using them already I suggest you make yourself some pinky sleeves, little leather tubes that go over your pinky fingers to help them to not get sore when you are pulling your stitches tight.

Some have very sensitive fingertips and even a short stitch line can cause pain.  I've never suffered from that, but I suppose if I did, then a machine would be the practical solution.  Personally, I prefer hand stitching and even when I do briefcases with miles of stitching I don't mind a bit.  I'm lucky that my fingers don't bark at me I guess.

Keep up the good work!