ewayne53

Hand stitching holster

What kind of thread do you use hand stitching/saddle stitching holsters. I've normally used the generic white waxed thread from Tandy but I'd like to try something different.

Edited by ewayne53

I have a ton of the "hand sewing thread" from Amazon and it works really well but I've been converting over to Ritza Tiger thread. Its just better thread IMO. There are quite a few options though and several depend on individual taste.

What thickness thread do you normally use?

All of my stitching is with Ritza "Tiger" thread. I usually use either the .8 or the 1.0, though I believe they also have a .6 and a 1.2. Buying a spool can be expensive but I feel like I will never run out. I think I'm up to about 5 different colors out of the 15-20 colors that I have seen. There are also people that sell off smaller amounts on Ebay if you only need a little bit of a specific color for a project.

I only use linen or hemp thread. I can't see using a plastic thread on leather. I get 3 and 5 ply linen/flax from Crazy Crow. I will have to dig up the link for the hemp, but there are other sources for both.

I use the .8 mm and 1.0 mm as well.

277 bonded nylon thread or 0.8mm Tiger thread.

I like the Tiger thread more and more because it lays flat and the braid seems to be stronger than 277 nylon.

346 Bonded nylon.  And I pull off 6X the length of the stitch line for my stitching for a normal holster.  If I welt a piece I add length to that.  

Edited by chiefjason

I really like the thread from makers leather supply. I’ve seen reviews that say it’s pretty much the same as tiger thread, but the price is right. 

Just to be different I use yellow thread.  .8 size that I got from WISH.COM.  I saw it on Facebook.  It works well and is very strong.

The Tandy white thread is great but a bit thick. It also picks up any dye you use.  

Holster with Mark IV backup inserted.jpeg

What happened to that American who was going to make a new super thread  a couple of years ago, he seemed to have got to the sample stage and then nothing else heard