Sign in to follow this  
Hawker

Need help finding needles

Hi all,

I have a singer 44-81 glove machine, the one that sews and trims the leather close to the sewn edge. The Singer manual states it uses 16 x 97 Needles and I can not locate any. I’ve tried my local sources only to be told they have never heard of this size. 

Does anyone have a lead on needles or any assistance they could offer up. It would be much appreciated as I have this machine to make falconry gloves and I’m really looking forward to seeing what it can achieve. 
Thanks in advance!

Most likely the Singer 16 needles range will work. Other ID´s are DBx1, 287 or 1738. Its a quite common needle for vintage machines.

1 minute ago, Constabulary said:

Most likely the Singer 16 needles range will work. Other ID´s are DBx1, 287 or 1738. Its a quite common needle for vintage machines.

I was just about to tell him to try this needle system. It may or may not be necessary to slightly raise or lower the needle bar to get perfect timing.

Long ago I found a needle reference chart on the net that listed many obsolete systems. This list went into much more detail of needle specs than just length ,diameter, etc. Unfortunately, I found it shortly before my computer died and I didn't have it in backup.  Best I remember the 16x97 was much longer than any other 16 needle and again if memory serves it was much longer than other needles with the same or similar diameter. Someone once posted a page from this list here on the forum but I can't remember who or where. One of the dealers here on the forum may have this very list and be able to help with the specs.

I have an old needle chart but the 16x97 is not pictured but a few other Sys. 16 needles, most seem to be 39mm long one is 43mm long as it seems.

So I would look for a common Sys. 16 needle and adjust the needle bar as Wiz said.

IMG_3161.JPG

IMG_3162.JPG

Hi all,

I have a singer 44-81 glove machine, the one that sews and trims the leather close to the sewn edge. The Singer manual states it uses 16 x 97 Needles and I can not locate any. I’ve tried my local sources only to be told they have never heard of this size. 

Does anyone have a lead on needles or any assistance they could offer up. It would be much appreciated as I have this machine to make falconry gloves and I’m really looking forward to seeing what it can achieve. 
Thanks in advance!

@Hawker

G'day, firstly , I looked up your machine, https://www.manualslib.com/manual/364550/Singer-44-79.html?page=4#manual

And you're right about the needle size. I did have a look around , but all I could find, for the moment, is this: https://www.sewingmachinesaustralia.com.au/shop/buy-accessories/needles-by-machine-type/plain-sewers-1/leather/needles-16x230lr-leather-point-100-needles.html .

The other side of the world I know,  and no help to you . This is my parts supplier  :)

I'll keep looking .

HS

I have never done business with this mob  but , it does reference Singer.

https://www.amazon.com/Pieces-Needles-Machine-Bottles-Brother/dp/B07VC8D1SM

HS

Hmm yeah that looks to be an oddball needle class. Did the machine come with an old needle that you might be able to measure? You may be able to figure out an equivalent.

Other 44-class machine use a variety of 16- and 31-class needles. Perhaps you could adjust your needle bar height to suit one of these more common needle classes?

You asked the same question a couple hrs ago and got some responses already ;)

Edited by Constabulary

Hi all,

Sorry for the late reply to your comments, I’ve been knocked down by the flu but thankfully it wasn’t the CORONA!!  Tested negative. 
Thanks for the great responses. You guys are the best. Definitely an oddball needle size for sure. I’m gonna try some 16 or 31 class needles and adjust if needed. Got the machine for free and had to order a needle bar for it since it was missing. I’m hoping I can utilize something that will work if I tweak the head a little bit.  If I can getting it working it will be a fine addition to my falconry glove process for sure. Will post back if I find needles that work

I am not experienced in this subject. So, purely out of curiosity, I decided to see what I could find out about 16x97 needles. I found this Singer site in the UK that lists your particular needle in a list of industrial machine needles. You might want to reach out to the owners of this site to see if they can help you with info or a possible replacement or even source for the needles you need.

https://www.singersewinginfo.co.uk/industrial/industrialneedles

I also have a friend who is from Gloversville, NY and his mother was an industrial sewing machine mechanic. He might know of a local source for vintage machine items like needles. I would think that the machine you have was abundant at one time when Gloversville was booming.

If I find more info, I'll post here.

regards,

Rob

I finally saw my friend and he is reaching out to contacts in Gloversville to see if anyone has parts and such for a machine like yours.

Stay tuned...

regards,

Rob

Contact Diamond Needle in NJ.  They might be able to help.

glenn