Karburization

How to keep braided handle attached to wood core

Hello, I am new to leather braiding and am attempting to braid a leather handle cover for a walking stick. I chose the "Six thong multiple braid" from Bruce Grant's encyclopedia ( Paracord example visual) but am concerned that the leather handle will move around if I do not glue or attach it in some way. I've read affixing the leather lace with nails could help  but was wondering if anyone else had any suggestions. Any advice is much appreciated!

I can't help but would be interested in seeing the stick please.

maybe drill a hole or holes and run some of your braid material through the holes. Just a thought and i just noticed it already has a hole drilled lol. 

I have done some knot work with paracord on a walking stick in the past. If I remember correctly, I used really small finishing nails to anchor them in place and then hid them under a turks head knot. A thought, (PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG) you could try soaking the leather. then braid it. when the leather dries it will shrink a bit and form to the stick. I would like to see the finished project either way..

On 9/16/2020 at 2:45 PM, chuck123wapati said:

maybe drill a hole or holes and run some of your braid material through the holes. Just a thought and i just noticed it already has a hole drilled lol. 

This is a great idea! 

On 9/16/2020 at 4:09 PM, RevMoore said:

I have done some knot work with paracord on a walking stick in the past. If I remember correctly, I used really small finishing nails to anchor them in place and then hid them under a turks head knot. A thought, (PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG) you could try soaking the leather. then braid it. when the leather dries it will shrink a bit and form to the stick. I would like to see the finished project either way..

I believe soaking and stretching helps but when I tested my knot I realized this WILL slip especially as you put your weight on it when walking. I am considering finishing nails but with this knot the length adjusts itself slightly due to the variance in circumference so nailing the leather too soon would prevent me from tightening properly. My current plan of action is as follows: soak and stretch the leather, braid it, add two securing knots to the ends which I found in Bruce Grant's encyclopedia, plate 58 to be exact, and only then after tightening everything add a few finishing nails. Wish me luck LOL

Good luck. And post some pics of the finished result.

Raise each end with a piece of tape and that should anchor the end of the multiple string button. Or a ring button out of rawhide on each end. The rawhide will cinch down better than leather. Then wrap a piece of light leather between ring buttons and tape over that. A lot of bosal nose buttons are built like that.

I had the same thought as Brad. I would put a ring knot at each end & glue it in place, then work your finish knot over them. Just like a hackamore nose knot. You can find directions for a multi string nose knot in Grant’s book.

Edited by bucksnort
Added to it

6 plat braid is 6 piece of cord

drill 3 holes in the stick thread each hole

now you have 6 cords ends ,  braid the walking stick

red and black.jpg